1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Kris_Kris, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

I finally got around to installing my back up lights. They are $12.00 each 4" tractor lights that had a front cover that held the sealed bulb in the housing. The front cover had (2) screws from the front.I removed the front cover and used the screw holes to flush mount the lights. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. overtime

overtime Senior Member

That looks pretty good. How do they work at night? Pretty bright?

3. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

They are pretty decent. A heck of a lot better than what I had but when you are plowing, Is there ever enough light?

4. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Your truck runs off natural gas?

5. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

Wow..I am blown away at the rust on that bumper, what year is your truck?

Nice job on the lights!

6. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

Yes, I pay about $.70 per Gasoline Gallon Equivalent. The CNG tank is under the tool box. When it runs out of CNG it switches back to gas. For the most part you don't know you are not running gasoline.

7. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

Thanks. Yes, I need to clean the bumper up and paint it. That will be a this summer job. The truck is a 2005 with 125K on it. Here in Indiana they put a lot of salt down on the road.

8. 911tech

911tech Junior Member

looks good. Beats the 650.00 LMC wants for an aftermarket bumper with the same lights.

9. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

That looks familiar :D . Looks good. I know I really like mine.

10. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

Yes, I liked yours. It was a great Idea. Almost like head lights when you back up.

11. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Can you elaborate more on how this is done? Sounds pretty cool.

12. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

I will start a new thread on the CNG conversion

13. elecblu

elecblu Member

Where did you find the lights? Someplace like TSC or an auto parts store? I really like your creativity and would like to do the same thing. Do those run directly off of the reverse lights, or was a relay necessary? Nice job!!!

14. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

Thanks. I got the Idea from another member on this forum.

I got them from a place call Thrifty supply. It is just like a TSC. They are just 4" tractor lights with sealed bulbs. The key was that the light fixture has a trim piece that screwed on from the front with a screw on each side. I took those off and used the screw holes to fasten it to the bumper. Basically, the bumper is the new trim piece. I tied them into the back up lights on the factory trailer plug. They come on when ever the truck is in reverse.

15. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

What did you used to cut the holes in the bumper?

16. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

I used a drill to start the corners and a Sawzaw with a metal blade to cut the rest. It cut pretty easy.

17. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

Thanks, the lights look great. I am debating between placing them high or low on my 2005 2500. I have a Backrack but also a six foot rail top aluminum tool box on the driver's side.I am worried about the light either being blocked or reflecting off of the back of the aluminum box. I have tested by having someone hold a spotlight over the Backrack and there is quite a bit of glare.

I have been worried about putting them near the bumpers knowing they can be damaged by backing into snow banks. Your idea might just do the trick without investing too much money.

18. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

This is what they look like.

[​IMG]

19. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

CNG is awesome, but the range is very limited unless you completely convert it and remove the factory fuel tanks for space. Even then, so so. Also, be sure you have a place to fill up; public NG stations are few and far between and home stations are expensive. Most folks find they will never recoup the conversion costs on fuel savings alone. It is very expensive. However; they run great, allow for higher engine compression and the oil seems to never get dirty!

20. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

It defiantly is not for every one. But if you have the right fit, It works very well. The fuel saves us about 12 cents per mile.
    250,000 miles x .12 = $30,000.00 saved. If you dont drive any miles, you wont save anything. We put about 30,000 miles per year on our trucks.
    We save our conversion cost back in about 2 years and then by the time we get rid of the trucks we have saved another $20,000.00 or so. We are going to start taking the tanks off when we sell the trucks. The tanks are worth more than a truck with 250k miles on it. It will make the next conversion about 1/2 price.