1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up lights

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by adhiggie, Dec 17, 2009.

1. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

I am looking for ideas of a simple way to put removable back up lights on my F150. :help: Easy is my ticket! Thanks...

2. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

3. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

Well currently I do not have a trailor hitch or 7 Pin connection (just a ball in the tailgate and a 4 Pin connection). But I love the look of the product!

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

5. tfmrox

tfmrox Junior Member

I drive for someone else and I'm never happy with the backup lights on the truck. Especially the 3500HD I'm driving now with an AirFlo sander. I've devised a light that I can move between trucks that I can count on and I have full control over from the cab.

I mounted a square 3x5 inch foglight (white lens) onto a post that I can attach to the trucks with clamps. It's wired to a fused cigarette lighter plug that has a rocker switch. I typically mount the light as high as I can get it and it is somewhat adjustable. I use it to spot a place on the ground about 12 feet behind the truck right along the passenger side. As I back up to things it really lights up the blind spot. Since it has a switch, I can use it to communicate with the loader operator and other drivers to let them know I can see them when they are behind me.

Most importantly, all the connections are shrink-wrapped and I keep it clean. Also I carry a spare fuse and light bulb. It hasn't let me down yet and it's kept me from "going bump in the night" when backing up in the dark.

6. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

Tfmrox,

Any pictures? Sounds like a good system!

7. tfmrox

tfmrox Junior Member

Pic of backup light

Adhiggie -

Here's a pic of the light. Thanks for asking about it, I just looked in my bag and seemed to have misplaced one of my clamps. I guess I was to tireed (24.5 hours straight) after the last storm to double-check myself and lost one of my clamps. Oh well, I have time now to find it before our next storm.

Anyway, here's a picture of the light attached to my small jump box. Notice the green status light on the rocker switch on top of the plug. I have another plug without the light and found that I was leaving it on, effectively blinding anyone behind me in traffic, so I switched to this setup.

Geof

plow lights.jpg

8. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

How about a light with a magnetic base and a plug for the cigarette lighter outlet. You could stick it to the roof of the truck and run the cord in through a window or door. I have thought about building a few of these to use on our rented equipment.

9. tfmrox

tfmrox Junior Member

Cold_and_tired -

I learned the hard way about magnets. I had one last year, I salvaged it from an old yellow beacon I had, but the light came off somewhere during a storm and I never found it. I think I lost it while driving between sites. I was forced to use clamps and they seemed to work out better. I know it's hard to see, but the wood that the light is attached to fits into the stake whole on my personal truck (I use it for lighting up areas when I snow blow).

Also I found out that the magnet was playing havoc with the electronics that I carry with me (cell phone, digital thermometer and weather radio) when it was off the truck and in my bag.

When I realized I was driving a 1-ton with dump body I went looking around for a magnet for this setup earlier this year and couldn't't find any that I was happy with. Aside from recovery magnets, the ones that I found were all fridge style and not up to the task. I did check with Tractor Supply and a car parts guys I know, also the web. One of the owners of a local family owned hardware store said that large magnets just don't seem to be available anymore. The clamps are cheap (< $6) and available at any hardware/big-box store.

I did have a magnet from an old temporary license plate mount somewhere in my shop, it would be perfect to attach to the side of the wood, and would work with the current truck, but like everything else that enters the black hole I call my shop, it will magically reappear the day after they put me in the ground.

Geof

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009