1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Polarisrider, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Polarisrider

Polarisrider Member

So i went to Tractor Supply the other day and bought 2 small utility lights to mount on the back of my truck to throw some light back there when I'm backing up. Where is the better place to mount them. On the underside of the bumper one on each end. Or in the middle of the bumper where it has the 3 holes to mount a hitch ball. I plan on using 2 lights either way just want to know where they would be more effective. Also I would like to wire them in so they turn on when I shift in to reverse. How is that done.

Thanx, Aaron

2. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I personally don't like them on the bottom. When you drive over snow piles after back bladeing or whatever they always get busted or un-aligned.... Just my opinion

3. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

polaris: i have a set on the backrack that are either cargo or reverse depending on my switch position, and a set on a hitch step that are just reverse. personally i love having all of them, but if i were choose one or the other it would be on the rack. if you dont have a rack, i would put them in the middle with a little outward angle. as for wiring, if you just want un-switchable reverse you could tap into your 7 pin trailer harness right at the bumper. having them switchable for reverse, cargo, or off is a little more involved. you need a SPDT switch in the cab with a power wire to that from the battery, tap into a reverse wire below your fuse block and run that to the other side of the switch, and then your trigger to the lights...more wire, but its nice to have the options. you should also run a direct ground to the battery for best results IMO. an even better option for this it to use a relay, but it all depends how technical you want to get. my last truck was wired as above, no relay, and was fine, but my new one will have a relay. hope this helps! any questions, let me know!

4. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

you can buy them already wired up in a hitch mount for 75-100 bucks on ebay and there is a guy on here that sells them too.

5. Polarisrider

Polarisrider Member

well i mounted those back up lights on my truck. They should be wired up and work on monday. decided to put them under the bumper.

back up light.jpg

reverse light.jpg

6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

A couple of snow banks and you will either be deep sea fishing or star gazing.. Depending on which way they get pushed......
    I think you should try some thing else .....

7. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Yup I mouted some underneath farther back and higher up than yours and they lasted 2 snowfalls till they were destroyed. This year I'm mounting some up above.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Listen to these guys on light mounting. Anything mounted below the bumpers on a plow truck will be killed some night! Use a fog light relay to switch the power to the back up lights.The park / backup switch is not designed for the extra amp flow of more lights. They are not easy to replace either. Trigger the relay with a positive lead off of the backup light circuit. Have it switch a fused positive supply off of the battery. Switch the negative side of the relay trigger circuit to ground. This way you can turn off the extra lights when you don't need them.

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

THose things are going to shining striaght down after the first bank you hit. The screws that hold them level are crap. Believe me from experience. Unless you put some supports on the lights to keep them from moving then you are going to have the problems people have already talked about.

10. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

I mounted mine the same way as Polaris and wired them into the reverse wire in the trailering package, but I used heavy duty zip ties to mount mine. if you back into a banking all you have to do is pull them back down, mine lasted all of last season. The other day I mounted another set on my ladder racks, I used the exsiting strobe light wire. Looks like daylight behind my truck.

11. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I love mine......i have them under the bumper......but salt/water always screws them up and sometimes i wack them with a snow mound....i leave them a bit loose so they dont snap......i just get cheap ones from pep boys....going to put better ones on my back rack. I have gone through 3 sets in 2 winters from the ones from pep boys.

12. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I put my lights in the rear stake bed pockets.

13. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

here is mine,,, pat. pending :) lol

hitchlight1.jpg

hitchlight2.jpg

14. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

One eyed cyclops.....

15. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

yep. works great. not too low to get covered by snow and not high like on a backrack thats it causes shadows on the back glass

16. BoyneCityGuy

i like the idea, gets it up and out of the way, FWIW, i would put 2 up there though to get some more light and a better spread. cool though other than no opening of the tailgate.

good to see some northern MI guys, im from Boyne, and i could almost tell where u are without looking by all the sand you are parked in...haha...typical northern MI...:drinkup:

17. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

its easy, unplug it from the 7 prong plug and remove the hitch pin slides out like a regular hitch. could always make the top plate a bit bigger and put 2 lights on it. with the location of this single light, it works really well though. yes i have a lot of sand. just picked up a new place and have not had time to do anything with it. i hope it gets cold soon so the ground gets a little harder lol

18. ETMegabyte

ETMegabyte Member

Looks like you picked up the exact same lights that I did.

I chose to mount mine a little farther out than you did. What I did was to use two hose clamps per light, and mounted them to the outer edge of the factory trailer hitch.

I pulled power, ground, and reverse signal from the factory trailer connector, and ran the wires up into the left taillight area, where I put in a relay. I also used an on-off-on switch (which is mounted in a very small project box, which is mounted to my bedliner up underneath the bed lip so it won't get wet or destroyed)... I can either have the lights come on when I go into reverse, have them stay on all the time, or shut them off all the time. It works out perfectly for me so far.

I am a little concerned about backing into a snowbank and misaligning them, but this winter will tell me pretty quickly whether that's going to be a big problem or not. Guess I'll just have to be careful... I've seen many plow trucks around here with them under the bumper so it can't be that much of a problem.

And if it is, it's only a $15 light. Not like it would break the bank if I had to replace it...

19. BoyneCityGuy

sure, i suppose it is that easy, and if you can get away with one, guess why waste the juice! lol...where in Gaylord are you?

20. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

just up the street from upper lakes tire. the one works great for me. 99% of my stuff is commercial and the lots have lighting. it even works well on the dark res. drives. also dont have to worry about it getting packed and covered in snow :)