1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back up lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by nor'easter1, Sep 19, 2009.

1. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Guys/gals what do you recomend for extra back up lights. Last year went to a.w. direct and got a set of two lights for $70.00 a piece. The housing ended up not being sealed and they poiped quiker than the money I spent on them. What wouyld be a good look and bright power for my f350. I mount them on the sides of the trailer hitch any recomendations and where to look or buy would be great.

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Tractor Supply has rubberized tractor lights for around $15/piece.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I like the John Deere work lights. About $22 each. I think they are manufactured by Hobbs, also packaged for Kubota.

4. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

hey repo man, if its not too much trouble could you please take a couple pics of your truck at night with the lights on, so we can see just how much area those light up???

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have always like the way your truck looks Repo.

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

Sure......Sorry for the quality; cell phone. Momma left the digital camera on the boat. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

I'm blind.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the first pic I had to go drive around to find an area without street lights.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  10. RepoMan207

from Maine

Thanks Larry!

11. THEGOLDPRO

sweet, was that without the 2 lights on your mini edge??? or was that all of the lights.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Thats JUST the oval dual beam. The light bar doesn't do much for it when the dual ovals are on. In fact I am thinking of turning the bar around to get the 4 strobes to the rear and get the lights facing forward for those hell storms.

13. THEGOLDPRO

dang thats pretty good, i was thinking of doing the same with the red truck, that bar has 4 work lights on it facing back, but seeing as its so high it just doesnt light up behind me like i need it to., so i might face it forward as well.

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

That's The same reason I got the other two, the light beam was too high. Atleast with these you can compensate for there mounting location by angeling them up or down.

15. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

I like the rubber kind. Harbor freight has them for $13. They go on sale for $6 every once in a while.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93904

I like to keep mine low and under the back bumper for backing up. I also have worklight's up high that i can use with or without the back up lights. Problem with high lights is the glare in the snow. Just my 2 cents.

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

We used to use these on the tow trucks.....there ok, but they didn't withstand the vibration that well. I had to constantly change them out. Napa Auto Parts has them for $4..

Now that I think about, we had them under the wheel lifts too, they did last a bit longer under there.

17. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Thanks Repo, Im going to napa next time.

18. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

the napa ones are like 9.00 and they work great

19. THEGOLDPRO

the rubber ones are junk, they dont put out enough light. i used to have em on all my trucks and was neevr real happy with em. not to mention id break em all the time.

20. RepoMan207

from Maine

I had my own private stash of them when I was driving for other people.......I too broke them all the time. I'd long chain some wreck and the bumper covers would run up on top of the winch where I had two of the lights and bust um. I had to load a plow, truck and sled on one night at the same time while doing a repo, needless to say I had to put the sled on top of the winch and lights......knocked them out of the boot, but it still worked, That is until I was unloading....dam spikes. :nod:

I eventually learned to add bullet connectors for those quick midnight change outs. bolt, plug, plug, bolt, done!