1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up lights

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by BigDave12768, Feb 13, 2009.

1. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

My buddy got one of these the other day. Seems pretty nice. You can use it as a step also. It has 2 switches on it in the back. One turns on lights other turns on led Strobe in middle. If you leave the lights off they come on automaticly when you got into reverse. Seemed well built. Kinda pricey but nice
    http://www.back-upbuddy.com/gg304.html

[​IMG]

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

the more i see these style of lights that plug into the trialer hitch the more i am liking them, my only fear is backing into snow banks or something and destroying it.

3. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

4. BigDave12768

Yeah. I thought the same thing. This thing was made of steel and those are the heavy duty lights. But yeah a snow bank could wipe them out.

5. BigDave12768

This place also sell Cheaper ones if you click on link above. I just picked out the deluxe one one with the LED in middle becuase my buddy has that one. It strobes on and off. PLus the one you linked uses the cheaper lights. Those are the plastic ones. This guy used a nice metal one. Not saying the Ebay one isnt nice. Since I have never seen it up close. But the one my buddy got was solid. You can use it as a step too.. Plus not to impressed with the exposed wiring on the Ebay one. He should weather proof that or something. It just has a plastic covering the wires. And no switch on it to turn them on when ever you want. So yeah they cheaper on Ebay. But by the looks of them they are cheaply made

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  6. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

I bought these here a month or two ago! They work fine, are made very well, -that is they are bright, the steel is sturdy, and if you back up into a snow bank, -I have several times, all that happens is the lights simply get pushed up, a simple readjustment to where you want them is all it takes. The rubber housing on the lights is preferable over the metal, because they will not rot out. The paint on the steel is poor, but no big deal to me, a little rustoleum will take care of that when I take them off at the end of the season. As with anything you hang on the back of, or under a plow truck you have to clean them off from time to time. But for a reliable, plug and play light for me, they sure fit the bill. And the price, was not bad either, -even thought it made for quite a few posts back when they were put on here the first time... I'm glad I have them.

7. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i had my backup lights mounted to the underside of the bumper corners, and would back into banks all the time, i have ripped rivets that hold the housing to the mounting bracket, broken lights etc.. I moved the lights up under and mounted them to the hitch supports, the flat vertical pieces of plate that mount to the frame, they are nice and protected here and light up nicely behind the tires.

8. MnM

MnM Senior Member

i just had my diesel and 99 ford set-up with PIAA back up lites 1500 series. I will post pics soon. From what I am told, these are the best back-ups available. And after these two sets prove that to me, I will be installing them on all other trucks. ............Best part is I got them from amazon for $110 per pair and Ive seen a pair go for as much as $200. I will comment after I actually get to use them

9. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

the back up lights that i have in my truck by far work the best that i have seen. you don't have to worry about snow banking them. i mounted piaa 1100x platinum dricing lamps in place of my stock reverse lights. just drill out the lens big enough so the front of the light will fit. Connect relay contact to reverse wires and power the lights from the positve wire from your 7 prong trailer wires. Lights come on when you put the car in reverse and you are sending 85watts of light out the back of your truck. installed them on both my truck. 05 silverado and 07 tahoe. i will never own a truck with out them installed. Nice clean look and you can't even tell they are mounted on the truck. i will post pic's of lens with lights mounted.:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

10. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

jgsxr750. I'd like to see some pics. Sounds interesting.

11. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I got a set of fog lights from the local auto zone need to install them some time this summer I know piaa is by far the best out there I had a set of fogs on my car and man did I see the road well :)

12. BigDave12768

I have a set of PIAA plasmas hanging off the bumper also. But they are just on a switch not automaticly.

13. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Big Dave those are real sharp, but for what he spent I hope he has a lock on them or some low life is going to ruin his day!

14. MnM

MnM Senior Member

yea let me go LOCK my lights up DUHH. I will take the chance

15. Indy

Indy Senior Member

This looks pretty simple to make it's a DOT box cut for a LED with lamps on the end, welded to 2" stock with a hole for the pin............easy.

Im gunna make one, I'll post it when I am done............I think I'll put a strap loop around the light because of bumping stuff.

B BACK SOON

16. BigDave12768

if I get a set I will buy a Hitch lock for it. i dont want to see 250 walk away in a parking lot

17. BigDave12768

We will be waiting!! Or I will be at least

18. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

Looking forward to these pics. I'm having a hard time picturing your idea here.

19. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

I could probably build that for 1/3 the cost...

20. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

They must be really proud of them things for that price! Looks like a good idea though, idk about you guys but 90% of the time my truck has a trailer behind it which generally requires the drop hitch :/