1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back up lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by andy bengtson, Nov 26, 2002.

1. andy bengtson

andy bengtson Junior Member

I have a chev 2002 pick up

I would like to put some back up light on the truck. I was going to cut the light green wire (the backup light ) and hooking the lights up this way. Is there anything else I should do or is there a better way of adding this option to my truck.
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

That circut probably cant handle the load of having bright back up lights, You can however use that as your switched side of a relay, and run bigger gauge wire back from the battery or acc. fuse panel.
  3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

4. andy bengtson

andy bengtson Junior Member

Do I cut the wire and slice into it. Do you know
  5. sonjaab

ANDY...Ya just could check with a test light to see which
    one is the back up light wire in the trailer connector
    and snap on a scotch lock tap on it. Easy on and easy
    off. As long as your back up lights don't draw over
    10 amps....If they do I guess you would have to
    draw right off fuse ctr. or battery...................geo

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

If you cut the harness seal it back up with shrink tube and tight electrical tape. The salt will turn the wire green and useless in no time!
  7. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Andy, you never said if your '02 Chevy truck have either snowplow or trailer package. If so, then go to the rear of the truck and look under the trailer wiring harness right next to the hitch. There should be a small black plastic tube right next to the harness. That is for the auxiliary backup light.
  8. sonjaab

Steve...GM upfitter lit. sez "this feature is standard on
    all new trucks 99 and up"...pg. 3 of bulletin.

LINK above.................geo
  9. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Center pin of the 7-pin Bergmann type sockets is the switched 12v power for aux back-up lamps. Most Bergmann sockets can be disassembled if you examine them closely. I did mine and the wire is attached to the contact itself inside the connector. Looks absolutely factory and maintains the weather-sealing feature. It will require a soldering pencil or gun (and no wind to cool things down) along with decent soldering skills to do a quality job, otherwise you may booger things up! Just check the rating of the fuse to that circuit to assure you are not overloading the ratings or fuse may pop.