1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Up Lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NPC2002, Nov 19, 2002.

1. NPC2002

NPC2002 Junior Member

Where can I find some good back up lights for my back rack? And are those reverse bulbs that they say are 2 1/2 Xs brighter really work? Thanks
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

If your close to a tractor dealer like cat,deere,case what ever get tractors lights.They are made to take the abuse of the weather and are really bright.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

dont waste your money on the extra bright reverse lights, they dont make much difference, i tried them. my suggestion would be to get some tractor lights or similar and mount them on the rear of your truck. on my truck i used a plasma cutter and mounted, into the bumper, 2 backup lights that i bought at auto parts store as a kit. if you go the tractor light route, go with a trapezoid or flood pattern, not a spot pattern. you want as wide a pattern as you can get.
  4. long0

long0 Senior Member

I use standard tractor lights sold at any parts house. They cost about $12. Check out this tread for lots of info on backup lights

5. long0

long0 Senior Member

Gotta figure out how to type faster
  6. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i bought hd flood type tractor lights at my local napa, thier real bright and pretty much sealed against the weather
  7. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Extra Back up Lights

The 55watt replacement bulbs for your back up lights are brighter that the stock bulbs, but don't seem to last very long. You would be better off getting an extra set of lights and mounting them where you feel you really need them. I see that your from Northern Wis. Check out Farm&Fleet, they carry a nice selection of halogen work lights that wouldn't over load your wiring or your checkbook. :rolleyes: John
  8. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I replaced the stock bulbs with halogen bulbs I believe & they made a big difference. I also have the tractor lights set up on the spreaders, and thanks to Alan here, they are set up to be toggled to constant on, as reverse lights, or as coming on when the spreader turns on. This leaves plenty of options for any potential situation that may come up back there.
  9. FatherandSon

FatherandSon Junior Member

Plug in back up lights

Have a 2003 Ford F-250. Replaced standard bulbs with the bulbs that claim to be much brighter. Saw no difference.

Bought a system from Stylinconcepts.com that mounts in my trailer hitch and they are GREAT. Three big bright lights that really made a difference. They also sell them as a permanent mount. Cost around $80.00
  10. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

Look at my web page at the bottom. I have a back rack with some rear flood lights. Peterson round lights. very bright.
    I suggest you get those. 10.00 each. Farm and fleet carries them.
  11. NPC2002

NPC2002 Junior Member

Went to NAPA and bought some floods. Thanks guys for the info
    Maybe I will have a straight bumper in the spring, Check out the pic
  12. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I purchased a set of PIAA lamps, man what a great product. They did cost a lot, but the lights work awsome. Hands down, the best rear backup lights in my fleet. There four years old and still going strong.

13. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Be careful using the so called brighter bulbs, they generate more heat (perhaps why they burn out quickly?) and can melt your lense if left on for an extended period.