1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by jvcski, Dec 15, 2007.

1. jvcski

jvcski Member

Alrighty guys i need help. My back up lights are just not enough light for when i am backing up. I was wondering what you guys/girls recommend for me to use for lights as a add on to the rear to give me awesome lighting for when i'm in reverse. I currently have an 2004 F-250sd with a fisher snowplow. thank you

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

bright idea

well i do not have that much disposable income ,i am making one out of a Peterson rubber tractor light 4 1/2 diameter light put a 7 wire plug 4 feet of duplex sealed cable 1 wire to the center terminal and one wire to a external ground with a sealed plug and they come on when you backup total cost $20.00 for 1 light on the left rear . versos $100.00
  4. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

I often install for my customers the Caterpillar work lights that they use on the skid steer. The lights themselves are about $75 a pair, but they are indestructible, and probably the best and brightest spread of light. PM me for more info.
  5. cobraman

cobraman Member

I bought 2 rubber encased tractor headlights from PepBoys for less than $20 each and wired them into the back-up lights and mounted them on the salter. Work great
  6. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

Matt from Blue Line has the answer for you!!! I had him install the Cat lights and I can tell you there is nothing better!!! You can't go wrong!!!!
  7. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

So it is true the center terminal on the 7 pin plug is a reverse signal a buddy of mine kept saying it and never believed him
  8. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

There is a reverse wire on a 7 way trailer connector but I would not try to draw the power for a 55 watt light off the reverse circuit. There is also a power wire on a 7 way. I would wire up a relay off the power from the 7 way and use the reverse as the trigger. Much safer on the electrical system and brighter.
  9. BlueLine Ent

+1 This is how I do it too.
  10. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

This how I wired mine. Works in reverse, off, or constant on. Blueline tell me more about the lights from CAT. Part #s

11. BlueLine Ent

CAT Lamp "G" Part # 142-8637 3x3 Halogen Light, Plastic housing with rubber and steel shock absorbing mount.

This is in its normal use on a model 226.

This is a video showing on and off. Completely dark street, the only lights are the Ford Fusion's parking lights on the left.

does anyone have, or can they get pics of how nright the CAT lights are at night? Edit: just noticed the vid you posted, lol
  13. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

If Matt doesn't have pics of them I'll take acouple and post them tomorrow!! Like I said there is nothing better or brighter!!
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2007

great thanks man!
  15. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

who sells those cat lights i cant find them anywhere
  16. rdaily104

rdaily104 Member
    from Indiana

A buddy of mine just put on two small halogens on his Ford Reese receiver. He said it cost 20 bucks and loves them. He said it was the easiest thing to do and was done in ten minutes. I will try and find out where he got them at and post.....
  17. BlueLine Ent

You have to get them through CAT if you have an account. I have still pics too, I'll post later. If you want a set, PM me.

yea def post some pics of them at night, so we can see how bright they are.
  19. BlueLine Ent

I'm not the best photographer, but these should give you a good idea why I love these lights.

This is about 11PM, no other light source except these lights.

20. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I have two peterson LED work lights in my bumper and it provided enough light, and pulls low enough amps that they work fine off the reverse light circut.but if you want to daylight go to walmart or a auto store and buy 2 of the cheapest 6inch offroad lights, usaully for about 20 bucks.