1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back-up lights?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by gotsnow?, Jun 19, 2007.

1. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

I tried a search on this but my browser kept freezing.... So, I've got a '97 Dodge Ram 1500 and I need ideas for reverse lights/back up lighting? I don't want to trust the tiny glow of my factory reverse lights when I'm plowing this winter. If anyone has pictures to post that'd be great!!! I do have a Reese hitch and thought I could use that for mounting surface area. Thanks for any suggestions, David-

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i use the whitenight back up lights, they work great.

3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Not a close up but you can see the White Night mounted in the hitch receiver here. I think they'll work nicely for plowing if I can keep from backing into a pile.
    [​IMG]

4. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

That is a nice truck.

5. streetsurfin'

Thank you very much, but all the credit has to go to a member here, Danno, that I recently purchased it from. I was very fortunate to be able to get it. He took excellent care of it.

Gotsnow, I can get you some night shots with the lights on vs the stock b/u lights. I was going to do it last night but found I had a bulb out. These mount right over the hitch which can still be used for towing with the lights attached, or the receiver can be covered by a cap when not needed.

6. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

That appears to be about the easiest way to go. I assume you just connect them to your trailer wiring connection on the back of the truck? Where did you purchase this? Approx price? Thank you for the info!:D

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Everyone is different, those lights would last 1 night on my truck. I plow some tight places and I constantly back into the snow banks. I bought 2 driving lights and mounted them on a piece of would and put them in my stake pockets at the rear of the truck. I put them on 2 way trailer plugs and conected the wiring to my reverse lights. When I don't want them on I unplug the wiring and it is very easy to remove them from the truck.

8. streetsurfin'

Here you go. They came with the truck, in my case.

For this reason, I always wanted to mount some in the tailgate, like the El Camino had.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  9. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Man, after looking at the pricing for those... Wow, I was only hoping to spend $20 or $30.:nono: I'l check ebay sometime!

10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i bought my whitenight's from jc whitney, they are fairly durable, i have backed into a bunch of snowbanks and they didnt explode, lol

11. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Well, I found the White NIght lights on sears.com and my wife just gave me a sears gift card for father's day.... I don't think she knew I may use it for the snow plow setup! :jester:

12. streetsurfin'

I think you'll be happy if you spring for them... anything less expensive may not have as good a mount system either. Or rather you may be adjusting them frequentlyDriving lights in the $30 range won't have the range or wattage, I wouldn't think. With these White Nights, you get a switch that allows use them while the truck is not in reverse or while in reverse, a handy feature.

13. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I bought the KC reverse light kit about a year and a half ago. IT was well worth the $100 IMO. I've tried the cheaper route and the lights only lasted a few months. The KC kit also comes with all wire, relay, and wire loom. Can't go wrong!!