1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back-up Lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by AA961JESTER, Dec 28, 2001.

1. AA961JESTER

AA961JESTER Junior Member

I have a 1994 k-1500. I'm having trouble with the back-up lights coming on when I put the automatic trans in reverse. If I jiggle the gear shister to the left, the lights come on. Whats the fix?
  2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

On the older (73 - 87) Chev/GMC trucks, there is a switch mounted on the steering column, down under the dash, to activate the reverse lights (as well as the starting in park/neutral only). This is adjustable by loosening two screws and sliding it left or right.

Don't know about the '90's trucks, but I would expect something similar. By the sound of it, a simple adjustment is all that is required.
  3. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I am not sure how to fix this problem but I also have a 94 GMC with the exact same problem. The only good thing about this is the battery gauge on the dashboard won't go down as much when the back-up lights don't come on.

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

We had a '89 gmc that gave us problems with the backup lights. At the base of the steering column just before it enters the firewall, there is a switch on top of the column. It's a white arc that's about 2 inches high that the control rod from the shifter goes into. That switch is adjustable left and right, just grab hold of it and it clicks in movement that should cure the problem.
  5. AA961JESTER

AA961JESTER Junior Member

Alan and 75

Thanks for your help. You guys were right on the money. I fixed the problem in two minutes at no cost.
  6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

You're welcome! Always nice to hear that a problem is "Solved". :)

Coincidentally, I noticed last night that my reverse lights were acting up - turned out to be the same thing.

Your '94 contagious perhaps? :eek:

;) - J/K!