1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back up lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MnM, Feb 18, 2007.

1. MnM

MnM Senior Member

well after this past storm I busted my rino light backup light. I have been looking around for a new setup. I want to install a backrack on my ram and was thinking of putting two piaa back up lights on it. My question should I mount the lights to the back rack or under the rear bumper. Since this past breaking of my lights im not sure i want to put them under the bumper. Any Ideas?

2. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I have a roll bar on my ram (2002 1500) which I have 4 "KC" (instead of the name brand I have the cheap subsitute brand) on it. I dont' know if you are referring to a roll bar as the backrack (or if this is more of the contractor style roll bar), or not, but if it's similar it works out great. My 4 lights are turnable and fully adjustable (meaning I can spin them around to light up the front or the rear) and they can be aimed. I prefer them because there is no worry when backing into snow about them breaking off or breaking them off when I catch them while backing over a curb or anything. IMO they are the way to go, they put out a ton of light, aren't that expensive to replace or get parts for, and do a heck of a job overall.

3. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Sounds nice, how bout a pic or two?

4. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

Why don't you try mounting the lights further back on the frame? We did that with my buddies truck, mounted right next to the spare tire. Had plenty of light and the lights stayed safe from hitting anything.

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

if you look at the link in my signature line you'll see the lights I mounted to my salter, problem solved -- just buy a salter and mount your lights there!:D

What about the rear stake pockets or corners of the bumper?

6. MnM

MnM Senior Member

i want lights but still want them to look good. Idont want to just put the lights in any ole spot. I was refering the the brand "BackRack". It is more of a contractors bar to protect the window and to tie off too. If anyone has pics of their backup lights, that would be great thanks

7. Easy

Easy Senior Member

I saw White Night lights in JC Witney catalog, and was wondering how well they hold up. I had 2 tractor lights mounted under my bumper, they lasted one season before being bent/knocked off. How well do the White Night lamp systems hold up???

Don

8. dmcenery

dmcenery Member

How about the night buster light? I think they sell them at www.mototrix.com. You stick it in to the plug for the trailer hitch platform. It does a super job and can be removed after plowing costs about $30.00.

Dan

9. BobC

BobC Senior Member

The only way I can see any longevity to anything mounted on rear is don't back into things including snow banks!!!! Mount lights high as suggested on a salter, or enclose in some heavy guards around lights with heavy mesh protecting lens. Best and easiest is still be careful!

10. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I installed some KC backup lights under the back bumper. They are just behind the receiver hitch fraim, so the lights have to place to go when I back into a snow pile.

[​IMG]

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

here are my four backup lights, the two on the hitch come on when i shift into reverse and the two on the backrack as well as the center worklight on the lightbar come on via a switch in the cab. The bumper and hitch have recently been replaced on my truck with brand new GM factory replacement parts, still the same thing, just A LOT nicer looking! If you have any questions about it feel free to PM me!

lights.jpg

bumper.jpg

12. SuperDutyFisher

SuperDutyFisher Member

My rear lights are similar to MCW's, they turn on when I shift into reverse.

DSCF5935rear.jpg

13. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Caterpillar Work Lamps from the skidsteers are by far the best lights in terms of intensity and light spread, IMO. They're over $30 EACH light, but well worth every freaking penny. You have to get them from a CAT dealer, but you won't regret it. Caterpillar Lamp G is what its called. I have mine under my bumper, and they have rubber wrapped metal mounts, so they cannot be broken off unless you really cream something like a rock.

If you look at this page, picture # 8, this is a pair of CAT lights on a back rack in full daylight. Bright! You can also see them in #9, and off in #5.
    http://www.bluelineenterprises.com/truckB.html

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  14. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

I have the white night. They work great. Same set 3 years old now. Have not had any problems with them. But you need to seal the light up. i just use some black silicone and seal it up. Holds up good no complaints.

15. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

i had the white nite lights, and they worked well, but i backed into a snow bank, lights came off mount and dangled from the wires and then fell off. I ran them over, and plowed them right into the snow bank. so in short, good lights crappy construction.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

If you want to turn night into day, get one of these:

http://www.awdirect.com/finditem.cfm?itemid=14571

Expensive, but holy crap do they light up the world.

PS At this price, I would mount it on the BackRack. I had a nice little bracket built around mine to keep from getting hit by something that might break it.

17. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

There are quite a few guys in my town that have them mounted on top of their rear bumper, put them far enough out to where you can still put down the tailgate but not out to far where you'll take them off rubbin on snowbanks. They have worked for years this way.

18. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You do nice work Matt! I agree the rubber lights housings they are the best. I have used them before and the hold up.

19. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

How about recessing them in the bumper? Many lights for Heavy trucks mount with a rubber grommet. Just get a hole saw the size of the light and drill thru the bumper. The grommet seals to the bumper making for a clean look and the light set flush. If you trash one of these you trashed the bumper too.

20. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

That's a pretty good idea. :gunsfiring: