1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up lights

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mysticlandscape, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

I have a 2006 F350, how would I go about wiring back up lights to the AUX switch? I tried to fool around with it but I am not that smart when it comes to eletronics.
  2. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Have you considered tieing it into the trailer light wiring harness? There is a lead in the factory harness that you can connect to that will work with the OEM back up lights. With all of the electronics with the plow you run the risk of killing your battery(s) by putting the back-up lights on the aux switch and having them burn all the time.
  3. Mysticlandscape

Well I would like to be able to turn them on at my disgression, would I still be able to do that?
  4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Not if you tie them into the trailer light wires. They will only come on when backing up. There is a discussion going on about this in the new to the industry forum.
  5. Big Dog D

IMO on all the time is a bad way to go. On 98% of the Fords on the road the alternators are too small in the first place when equipped with snowplows. Now you want to add lights that will draw another 50Watts minimum that will be on all the time??? Bad idea in my opinion based on previous experiences. I used to have a 88GMCK3500 that was wired that way coupled with a with a 4 bulb rotating beacon and that used to die after running it for several hours at night. Now that was in 88 with a belt driven plow pump, can you imagine what it will be like with an electric????
  6. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Try this. Works with 3 position switch for constant on or with factory rev. lights.

7. Mysticlandscape

I just want to be able to see what I am doing when I put my trailer on and off at night...
  8. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Nobody actually answered your question, did they.

The wires for your AUX switches are located up underneath your fuse box.

They are labeled properly AUX1 AUX2 AUX3, etc. They are multi colored and I THINK they are cut wires with a little black-tape stuff on the end. In the same area are also some wires for your PTO provision.,...be carefull not to use these wires by accident (like I did).

These wires are all feeding 12v power with the ignition ON. the first 2 switches are 30AMP the other 3 are 15AMP, i think.

For backuplights, either ground the light to the frame or body then run a wire up your frame and in through the firewall to the wires you found. (Its a lot easier to get to these wires if you drop the fuse box)

If you have a backrack, I suggest grounding the backrack to the truck frame and not depending on the metal to metal contact of the bolts...

If you're putting backup lights somewhere else, ground them where ever you like.

If I can help you any more, let me know...
  9. Big Dog D

Leave truck in reverse and put on the E-brake if it is an auto.
  10. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Big D thats just a accident waiting to happen Just not safe.....Some drivers need to have control for other activities other than backing up they are work lites and we use our for loading and unloading and even repairs with nite work
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  11. Big Dog D

Do it with the engine off then. If you have a good e-brake and apply it properly it shouldn't be a problem either way thats all.
  12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Mystic--your trailer plug has a reverse wire in it. Just buy a female plug end that fits into your trailer plug and find the reverse wire (I think its the middle one in a 7 prong outlet) and wire some reverse lights to the other end and plug them together, you might have to ground them
  13. Mysticlandscape

I would like to use them if I am working behind the truck, I am going to try and do it tmorw night ill let you guys know
  14. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

Get the lights you want, a switch (that can handle the amps of the lights),some wire, and an in-line fuse. Mount the lights. Run a ground wire from neg.(-) of light to the frame or neg. side of bat. You might need to ground the switch if you get one that lights up. Then run Positive (+) side of light to the acc. on switch. Then run a wire from power or + on switch to the in-line fuse. Then from in-line fuse to the positive (+) on bat.:salute:
  15. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

that wont work. you need pressure in the trans for the switch to close and activate the lights
  16. natlancaster

natlancaster Junior Member

Nope! Doesn't need to be running.Just key on and in reverse.
  17. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

reverse lights

I have a set of lights on my superduty that go on in reverse for plowing and I have a set of lights in the rear for hooking up traliors and loading and unloading trailors. just ran a wire along the frame to the rear of the truck and hook up power to a source that shuts of when the truck dose. Because if you are like me I forget to shut the lights off and run my battery dead. Steve
  18. Outfitter Switches

I hooked by backup lights on the outfitter switches and love them. It is definately nice being able to use them times other than just backing up.

Depending on the light, it may not even require ground. My lights from Murrays had + and - , but by screwing them into the rear bumper they were automatically grounded through the mount and I just snipped the ground wire & ran the positive to the outfitter switch.
  19. Mysticlandscape

Ya i got them all wired and they are sick, now i gutta find a use for the other two switches.
  20. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I can't believe some of the replys to this thread.

Mystic, Glad you got it worked out. what kind of lights did you use? got any pics?

I have 55w hella fogs on my aux 1 switch, makes a great work light and a great "FARK YOU" light for them BeaMeWr drivers who think high beams = low beams.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006