1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ramsport1500, Feb 8, 2006.

1. ramsport1500

ramsport1500 Member

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here has tried the High intensety back up lights to see in the dark while plowing
    We have tried a couple of different applications and have the chance to try the High intensity back up lights and was wondering if anyone has used them
    Thanks in advance
    Shawn

2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

what do you mean by "high intensity"...like HID?...I have the KC back-up lights under my bumper and they work great. i think regualr halogen lights work fine, its all in the placement of them.

3. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

those rubber housing farm implement lights work excellent for back up lights and they dont rust out ... cheap too

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have a spreader on the truck or not?

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

same thing here.

6. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I used the rubber ones too. best thing is if you hit them off road they don't break anything but the bulb!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

I use the rubber ones too! Cheep--work good and if they hit anything they fold over being on a swivel!(snowbanks!)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  9. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Remember you may have to run them off a seperate relay that is triggered on by your backup lights, or a seperate switch. Some newer trucks and vehicle wiring cannot handle the added current (amps) throught the factory system.

10. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I had them on my old truck 1994 GMC...Curious... what truck are you referring too that might have trouble driving them?

11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I would hope a newer truck would be able to take an amp draw like that. I would think it would be better that an older truck with all the advances they have made over the years. At the same time, there are a lo more electronics on todays newer trucks and some are not built as well as they used to be.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

All the new generation trucks would require a relay. The engineers don't want us playing with their carefully designed toys, we're not smart enough:rolleyes: But the real reason is there isn't enough extra load capacity in the system. Something would fail, hopefully a fuse
    Your other option would be the trailer tow package reverse light power supply. Check the amperage of the fuse on the supply line. Then check an see how much power they require, that will tell you whether you need to provide a relayed 12 volts to the lights. If the fuse is below the required load of the lights just tap it in to the tow system for your power.

13. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Reverse Lights

SAME HERE CANT BEAT THEM

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I burn out a rocker switch every season running full current through the dash switch down the legnth of the truck to the lights--- the switch melts before the fuse blows.

Those lights run 35watts normally I think.

15. madmax4688

madmax4688 Junior Member

Run the lights off a relay and use the rocker switch to trigger the relay. No more burned switch and will last forever. I can send a wiring diagram if needed. most rocker switchs are only rated between 3 to 10 amps and heavy duty light require atleast 20-30 amps. relay will do 35amps all day long.

16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You have to use a relay you don't want to be replacing a late model park/position switch. The switch is not designed to flow high amps and be switching on and off 50 times an hour.I bet they cost a lot and are no picnic to replace!
    Just use the ground leg of the relay (trigger circuit) with a switch to control when they come on with the truck lights. Use the positive leg of the relay coming from the trucks backup lights to trigger the relay.The parts stores have 30 amp fog light relays fairly cheap.