1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back up lights

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by mikemac, Nov 30, 2005.

1. mikemac

mikemac Member
    from ma

where is the best place to buy a set of back up lights to mount under the rear bumper that are thin and cool looking? i looked at KC hilites, but is their anything cheaper that you guys have heard about? all i need is the lights, no cables or switches.
    Mike

2. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 Member

Reverse Lights

I just mounted two fog lights under my bumper, next to my receiver. I got my lights for 10 dollars at a place called harbor feight. I would put a picture on here, but it is currently snowing.

3. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Napa or any auto parts store will have "Work lights" or "tractor lights" very cheep around $10 and self ground just have to put a power wire to them. mine were 35 watt lights. I will get a picture up tomorrow.

4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

5. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I bought mine at Napa, they are rubber mount work lights, and bolted them to the top of the bumper just below the tail lights, just make sure they are at the edge so they claer the tailgate. They work great and won't get torn off the underside.

6. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Oh yeah

one other thing, make sure to run an extra wire for them, you could use a relay with the reverse switch or just run them to a seperate switch, I leave mine on the whole time I'm plowing unless in the road, and they are great out in the woods.

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

tsmith

welcome to the site buddy, but I noticed your responding to thread that was started in November 2005 :nod: almost a year ago

8. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I know

I was lookin through and had some thoughts on it, thought it might help somebody reading it now. Thanks though

9. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

This is in the pictures forum...ive been waiting for the pics for almost a year now:dizzy:

10. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

that's cool, I often come and search old threads, sometime's comment and bring em' back to life :)

11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

The only problem with putting them on the bumper, is that they get covered with snow and are ineffective. If they are ion the bottom, the same thing, but they get all corroded up quickly as well.

12. DuraMaxAllison

DuraMaxAllison Junior Member
    from Toronto

back me up scotty

now those are some slick lights ...... :gunsfiring:

13. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

10 dollar lite's

Hey here are some pics of the ten dollar kind i use. If i break them no big loss but the only time that i broke one was when i was cleaning the lens and it slipped. I take them apart and place a weep hole in them to allow the water to drain plus the have a rubber seal around the glass lens and top.50 watt halogen bulbs place plenty of lite just where it is needed.the order of pics is backwards go from last to first.

100_1224 (Medium).JPG

nite lite.jpg

back lite.jpg

Picture 346 (Medium).jpg

14. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Those really small halogen eyeball lights get hot enough to burn off any snow that comes in contact with them. I plan on installing a few of them on my V-box.

15. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

ive got those ones from napa...$15 a piece, seem to have a very heavy duty casing on them

16. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

This is a pic where I have my napa work lights mounted, They are fairly hot when on and I have never had a snow build up problem with them and have done this set up on several of my trucks, most were not plow trucks, but never had a problem even with high speed use. Yes I drive around with them on, out in the woods though. I put them on top after ripping others off when mounted underneath.

DSCF3151mod2.jpg

17. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Have you considered doing something like this? I like a clean look to the back of the truck and I also don't like the idea of putting the lights where they can get cleaned off or re-adjusted so easily by backing into a banking or what ever.

I take and mount my lights just up under the bumper and they light up everything you need to see no problem. I have been doing it this way for over 20 years and never have a problem with them. They will light up everything behind you for at least 20-30 feet.

light.jpg

18. i went to autozone and got some small rectangular aux. lights and only spent $20

19. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i got mine at circuit city...they are KC backup lights...$30 bucks for lights, wires, relay, etc...

truck light.jpg

20. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

side picture, they're under the bumper...super brite

truck light2.jpg