1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up lights

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by charlg, Oct 12, 2005.

1. charlg

charlg Member

Can someone tell me what color the back-up light wire is in an 05 Wrangler? I am installing lights and I need to splice into the factory wire. I know I need to go up into the left wheel well to get at the wires (that's how i installed the trailer hitch wiring. Thanks for the help - it will save me from getting up there with a test light.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  2. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

jsut had my tail lights off about 2 weeks ago but don't remember the color of the wires. not that this site ins't great but have you asked on any 'jeep' boards? might have better luck there.

3. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Open up the lamp in the rear, and look at the color back there.

jp

4. korelandscaping

korelandscaping Member
    from CT

Get a test light, put the vehicle in reverse (not running of course ) and probe the wires to find out which one it is. Make sure you put a relay in too.

5. charlg

charlg Member

I could not get a hot wire running along the frame between the back lights. So, I went up into the wheel well and found the backup wire (after I took off the light to see the color). I had to extend the new light's red wire to reach, but it worked.

Thanks.

6. korelandscaping

korelandscaping Member
    from CT

The wires are difficult to find along the frame rail. You did the same thing I had to do. I'm thinking about cutting out holes in the back bumper and flush mounting them. I used PIAA's for mine and they are awesome. I used KC's in the past but the PIAA's seem to be brighter. I'll send a pic when I finish them up

7. charlg

charlg Member

Sounds good. I bought Navigator lights. They are rectangular and came with a hitch frame mount. I mounted them under the bumper using the existing screws that hold the bumper caps in. They came flush with the bumper. Let's see how long before I knock them off :)

8. korelandscaping

korelandscaping Member
    from CT

That's where I mounted mine too. My thought was exactly like yours...first snowbank I hit is going to cost me 160.00.

9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

I still have to mount my backup light on my CJ. But I was thinking I would mount it right in the center of the spare tire, using one of the lug nuts.

jp

10. charlg

charlg Member

That would work and they do sell a special center mount for the spare tire. But the the wires would be exposed. The installation for the center mount called for a hole drilled into the backup light. I would rather have the wires hidden.

11. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I have a light bar on top with 4 off road lights. i think i'm going to turn the 2 outside ones backwards and use those for backup lights!!

12. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

The only problem with that is it's going to leave you with a big "hole" in your light pattern because of the shadow created by the top.

jp

13. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I wired the roof lights up yesterday and it was a big enough pain jsut to wire them all together....glad I decided not to wire 2 seperate circuits....woudn't' have been enough room to run all the wires!!

14. DomTech

DomTech Junior Member

2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Plow

Hi,
    I just bought a blizzard 720LT and Im putting it on my 04 Wrangler, Can anyone tell me if I need to put timbrens in, And will my ride get rough?? Thanks

15. charlg

charlg Member

I installed the Timbrins in my Jeep TJ. I put a Curtis Plow that weighed 476lbs. The Timbrins carry the weight very good, but it is a bumpier ride (not that a TJ has a smooth ride to begin with. The Timbrins are easy to install, and I was even thinking of taking them out in the spring. Overall, the will protect your front end. It's a good move.

16. Currinson

Currinson Junior Member

I also have a Wrangler with a curtis homepro, works great, I had timberens put in, my only complaint is the plow jack only clears the pavement bt about 2 inches, it scrapes on steep driveways, any one else have this problem with curtis, I was thinking about putting air bags in, and removing the timberens

Any thoughts??

Erick