1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back up lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by raptorman03, Nov 11, 2004.

1. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

I was wondering if any of you guys run any extra reverse light to see when backing? Cause im thinking about geting some. what do you guys think?

2. dubster23

dubster23 Junior Member

I just use the 12 volt sealed implement lights and hook them to my reverse light power wire. There cheap easy to install and give alot of light.

3. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I run a pair of small halogens mounted to my class III hitch and a pair of floods mounted to my back rack. The high floods are really good the halogens are small and tucked up out of the way. The halogens are at an angle and do a pretty decent job of lighting the area directly behind the truck especially close off the back bumper.

4. raptorman03

do you guys have any pics of your setups

5. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

My truck has a pair of 55 watt driving lights mounted in the rear bumper. The bumper is made of diamond plate and two slots were cut out of it and the lights shine thru the slots. There's also two vertical bars per slot for more protection of the lights. I'll try and post a picture tomorrow..

6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

7. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Ok got pic from back i run small hal lites but lights up the whole field of view ...

back lites.jpg

8. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I really like my PIAA backup 1500 pkg. It comes with a 3 way switch and relay. Expensive but very low profile and nice wide flood beam with H3 bulbs.

9. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Here's a shot of how my backup lights are mounted.

backup1.JPG

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  10. raptorman03

Well i went out and got a set of some fog lights last night. Im in the process of hooking them up right now, my drill died on my im waiting for it to charge and ill take some pics. it should look good after im done :)

11. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

12. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

KLOan,

Nice bumper! It looks bullet proof and storage to boot. Did you fabricate that?

13. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Nope, previous owner did that or had it done.. The front bumper is the same way. My lights and pump are all mounted to it and it doesn't even try to move under a heavy load.. It's a tough ole truck but, I still take my time with it, no sense stressing anything you don't need to stress..

14. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Definitely go for the added back up lights. The minimal cost is less than 1 dent on your truck and a boatload less than damaging someone elses property.

15. raptorman03

i got my back up lights installed. It was real eazy too. Ill take pics tomarrow

16. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I have a Wrangler and am going to install some extra backup lights. I wanted to know what would be better: to have a separate switch for them or to hook them up to the stock backup lights?
    what do you suggest?

17. raptorman03

I just hooked mine up with the stock reverse lights its easer that way

18. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

There's an older thread with a great wiring diagram that shows exactly how to wire backup lights thru a relay and a double throw switch. It allows the backup lights to be on with a switch, on with the trucks backup lights, or completely off. There is much reading on this topic by doing a search. The diagram was made up by Mick.
    If you plan to run any high powered lights you may want to consider doing it this way. It keeps the factory backup light circuit from drawing too much amperage, possibly eliminating a short, fire, or meltdown of the factory wiring.
    I did mine with this diagram and it works pretty slick.

I would recommend finding the diagram,
    Mark K

19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Just like he said above try not to use the stock circuit to power the lights.
    The switch is not designed to flow that many amps so many times an hour.
    I used a fog light relay, the positive side to activate the relay came from the backup lights, the negative side to activate the relay I ran thru a switch to ground. This way you can turn off the lights when you need to run in low power or daylight.

(relay trigger) _______
    + <----- Backup circuit -( From back up lights)

- <----- Ground --. \.------ (switched)

Relay out
    <------ + Battery in (hot to switch )-----

----+ out to lights--->

20-30 amp fog light relay

Last edited: Nov 13, 2004
  20. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I can't see out of my back window becase of the spreader, I use my mirror's. My new spreader has two lights on the back ,will see if this is any help.

Regards Mike