1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Citrausa, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

Bought 2 round led (2100 Lumens) lights for my 95 1500. Not sure I can wire them to the back up lights or just use the CIG lighter and a switch.

2. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

Sure you can wire them to you back up lights. If you want them on when not in reverse then a switch with a fuse

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why aren't you sure you can wire to your rev lights?

4. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Mine are wired to reverse and mounted under bumper. Makes its nice to see what I am hitting. :laughing:

5. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

I had them hooked up to the cig lighter last year. Too many wires and always had to switch on and off.

Proper knowledge of wiring, proper tools, no garage, and lack proper dexterity in my left hand.

A friend of mine (who owns a shop) said I could come by, find the reverse wire for me and hook something up.

Was curious as to how everyone else handled their reverse lights (additions) to help see when plowing.

Thank you everyone!

6. dieselss

Usually a switch. So you can turn them on when wanted

7. dodgegmc1213

I have mine wired with my back up light on the flatbed, so I technically have 4 reverse lights, this year ima add a spot light to my back rack and have it wired to the cargo light switch, and then I always got the salter light, trucks like a Christmas tree at night with the strobes on lol

8. C&T Landscaping

C&T Landscaping Member

I have mine hooked up to the reverse wire via a relay. My lights draw way more than my reverse lights and woulda smoked the thin wire if I just hooked it up straight to the wire.

9. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

That's how I kinda had them hooked up last year. Just a wire to a switch to the cig lighter. It was difficult at times esp if they plug fell out lol.

Wish I had a salter! I have one business I help out, they have a small hill that is slick as snot in the winter. Guess I don't really need a salter, just get my butt out there and toss some. I like having as much light at night.

That's my concern. I have 2 LED lights to install, worried if I do get them hooked up to the reverse lights it will melt the wiring.

10. dieselss

Leds draw less then regular lights. If done properly you won't melt the wiring. But imo still better to wire in to a separate switch

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Just search "reverse lights" or "backup lights". You will be reading for quite a long time.
    T.J.

12. Tom@AWL

Tom@AWL Inactive

It might be much more simple to wire them directly to the battery. This is pretty easy, just run a negative wire to the chassis, and a positive wire with an inline fuse to the battery.

13. dodgegmc1213

it shouldnt melt. Like dieselss said, leds use less draw. Hook the ground to a good spot and the positive to the reverse wire.

14. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

That might be an option if my buddy can't help

Thank you, I will do a better job of researching for other projects.

I forgot about that. So yes they should. I'd love to have it wired separately but time, money, knowledge and etc.

Think that's the way I'm going if my friend can help.

15. dieselss

I forgot about that. So yes they should. I'd love to have it wired separately but time, money, knowledge and etc.

I can point you in the Wright direction if you would like. I can give you an estimated guess as to prices also.

16. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

My ex brother inlaw who owns a shop showed me the lil green wire I can scott lock into (?) to add back up lights. I think I know what he means by the locks. So that shouldn't be too bad to do. Guess I need to read more, do more and gain more tool lol

17. dieselss

NOOOOOOOOOOO, NO SCOTCH LOKS EVER!! He don't know what he's talking about
    I have pics of them things failing. Do it right PERIOD.

18. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

THIS!
    Scotch locks "may" have their places (yes I have used them) but their place is most certainly not in an exposed location.

19. dodgegmc1213

X3!!
    I found that out the hard way. Use heat shrink butt connectors.

20. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

Damn already hooked them up.

The location of the locks are inside the bed housing where the tail light sits. I used some dielectric grease too.