1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Up Lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Flawless440, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Been looking to add bright back up lights to my plow trucks..
    I ran across led light bulbs for back up lights, instead of adding additional lights to the bumper...

Anyone try these? Are they bright enough? From pics look like they are. Price cheap $8-$20 for a pair..
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the Cree led replacement bulbs. Have them in my trucks they are great.
  3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

4. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

I have auxiliary led's under my bumper and am happy with them. I have considered the led replacement reverse bulbs, but I don't think they would replace the auxiliary lights as I don't tie my auxiliary lights into my reverse circuit. I prefer having them on constant while plowing as I often find myself looking back while in drive.

Auxiliary's also can be directed more to the left and right instead of being in a fixed position so you can put the light more where you need it.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

These are 100W Harbor Tool $12 lights. I have found that LEDs do not have the heat to keep the snow off of them. Mounted low so I can see when it is really snowing, better than the head light. They are wired so they stay on.

6. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

these lights are great and durable and have a strobe http://www.back-upbuddy.com
    going on my second season with them now they make a world of a difference
  7. NicholasMWhite

I agree the LED's do require occasional wipe offs. I used to run a similar set of halogen tractor lights from the local farm store here, and although they weren't as bright as the LED's I'm running now they were more than bright enough. My problem with them was 2 fold. One: the ones I was running were only lasting about 2 seasons before burning out and they didn't have replaceable bulbs so I kept having to replace the whole lights. Two: they draw a lot more amps than the LED's which with a standard halogen light bar, head lights, blower motor, and plow all going at once in addition to the auxiliary lights really taxed my old trucks alternator.

So that's why I went with the LED's.
  8. NicholasMWhite

The back up buddy always seemed like a cool product, but was a little too pricey for me. I like having my trailer hitch available in the winter and I also use my auxiliary lights often in the summer to hook/unhook my trailer in the dark. So in never tripped my trigger, but it definitely has it's place in the market.
  9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've had 2 cheap DDM led flood lights on my bumper for a couple years now. For the price they work well, I just had them tied into my reverse circuit and only came on in reverse.
    I recently added 2 Strobes N More led flood lights (Cree leds) under my bumper on a switch in the cab.

The strobes n more lights:
  10. NicholasMWhite

I currently have the DDM ones also. How do the strobes n more compare to the DDM? In both price and performance?
  11. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Those are the ones i was looking at..

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I can just barely tell the DDM lights come on while looking in my side mirror and shifting the truck to reverse. The SNM lights pretty much drown them out.

I got the SNM lights on black friday, $140 for both, shipped to my house. For the price they are great. I was looking at Rigids and I can buy quite a few of these for the price of the Rigids.
  13. JAJA

JAJA Member

I have a set of Rigids. They are great with 5% tinted windows I can see just fine
  14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You'll love them.
  15. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

I have a set rigid d2 duallys in a difused pattern and they work amazing. Have them on my back rack and light up the whole drive way I'm plowing. Have them wired up to a switch by my factory beacon light. Definitely expensive but worth the money
  16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The LEDs that replace your stock bulbs are quite useless. Have a pair in the Sonoma and you almost can't tell they are on from the cab. Yet from behind they are blinding to look at. Useless.

Got a pair of cree LED floods on the back of the salter that are incredible, about $40 each though.

Bang for the buck still goes to the cheap rubber mount halogens at around $10 each but they eat a lot of power...