1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back up lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ratherbfishin, Sep 8, 2011.

1. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

as some of you know I am in the process of setting up my new truck.I plow some fairly dark lots and like to have some nice bright spot/floods out back.Whats the latest and greatest for tough,super bright lights.

Last truck I set up was in 2005.I used some tractor style halogens.They were o'k,But I would like something more powerful!

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

3. Kale Lawn

Kale Lawn Senior Member
    from Ohio

4. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Oh my goodness these are the brightest lights I HAVE EVER SEEN for their size they are SUPER bright! A local farmer uses them on his JD Tractor with the sun going down earlier and earlier in the fall. When we are coming back from the race track we usually see him out there with the lights on. Coudnt believe they were that bright! he Runs 6 of these around the top of the roof of his JD. Its like full day light at night! Since hes out in the "country" he can stay out legally til 12

5. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I am running a set of Rigid Industries LED flood lights on my flatbed. These are about $180 for a set & they are bright. I also like that they are in an aluminum housing. I got mine from www.4wheelparts.com

6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

HID's make great work lights, but for backup lights you really want halogen or LED. HID's take 30-60 seconds to warm up, and don't do well being flipped on and off constantly as a backup light. If you leave them on the whole time you're plowing, they're fine, but why use that extra amperage when you're not backing up.

As for those ebay HID's, they look just like the HID floods I paid $175 each for a couple years ago. Wonder if they'd hold up just as well. Might have to give a pair of those a try for the price. Thumbs Up

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

8. ratherbfishin

I hear ya!You are a man after my own heart.I try my damnedest to buy American...Tools,Trucks,Clothes,etc.I just cannot afford/justify the $$$ they ask for those light compared to equal powered lights from others.That being said,I have not bought anything yet...so one never knows!

PUT AMERICANS TO WORK>>>BUY AMERICAN MADE !!!

9. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Holy smokes! Check out them LED floods! $400 for what DDM charges $40! I know one is made here and one is not, but it don't cost no 10 times as much to make something here.

I like my KC halogens, they were decently priced on Amazon, but those LED's are ridiculous. :dizzy:

10. ratherbfishin

Exactly what I am talking about;and I'm wanting the LED's,so.....

11. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

You get what you pay for. A sealed lamp, submersible to 3m vs. a cheap Chinese POS? Buy it right once.

12. ratherbfishin

13. mike45

mike45 Junior Member
    from MI

i got 2 mounted on my trucks and they are bright

14. Kale Lawn

Kale Lawn Senior Member
    from Ohio

LED are not the greatest either for back-up lights as they do not put of enough heat to melt the snow and ice off the lens.. the HID i have on my truck are going strong 2 years and counting... and they didn't cost me an arm and a leg... keeping my operating cost low.. better bottom line!

15. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

For led, Sound Off 1400 lumen. Holy S&%T. they are pricey but awesome, thinking about a set.
    Business partner has PIAA 4" lights that are amazing, like 100 bucks for a pair.

16. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

17. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

This isn't true. If you buy an LED that is actually a decent wattage, GEN3 1W or more, they will not snow or freeze over. It's the cheap LEDs that are GEN1 that do not produce enough heat.

I have a set of Whelen 4" 12 LEDs. They blow away anything I have ever seen. 1 of them is brighter than all of my low beam, high beam, and fog lights all turned on at the same time.

Headlights on -> 1 LED light on -> Looking at the truck with both on
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

These look promising. 2400 Lumens each vs the Whelen which are 1200 each at best. About the same price too maybe less. $380 per pair or $100 each. Claim to be made in USA. The sound off leds are prob made in China like the rest of the lights out there.

[​IMG]

I have 2 of these and also not sure where to mount them. They will shine from here to the north pole and back again. Not good to be turning them on and off all the time when going from lot to lot salting.

Hella HID lamps
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  19. ratherbfishin

so do we have a link to the 2400 lumen lights made in USA ?Brand name ?

20. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN