1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Up Lights ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by knpc, Feb 22, 2011.

1. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I'm going to put back up lights on my rear bumper, I would like them to come on when I put the truck in reverse. My question is how do I go about doing this? I have a 7pin plug and the lights will be 55watt fogs. I do pull a trailer from time to time so the trailer lights still need to work properly. Wiring is not my specialty, so any detail you can give me would be great.

Thanks

2. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

3. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

I just tapped into the 7 pin. The Light Green wire is your Backup light wire for the 7 pin. I just tapped off that wire and ran it to the two fog lights. Works great! I have done this for 2 GM trucks now. Never any issues. I use some cheap sealed lights from NAPA. They have a rubber cover and only cost me $12 each.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  4. nightwalks

nightwalks Member

If your using 55 watt halogen lights, they draw some heavy amperage, too much for the green "switching" wire....use a 12V relay with the heavy RED wire in that harness that will provide plenty of amperage (and light) when switched in reverse. On my truck, I installed an "override" switch in the cab to I can use them as work lights as well.

5. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

Good idea Nighwalk! I will do that this weekend!

6. nightwalks

nightwalks Member

Yeah, it was like a 15 minute job, I used the coiled-up harness between the cab/bed, used a $5.00 relay/socket and used the RED for B+ and the WHITE for ground and the GREEN for switching....pararalled the green with a lead into the cab and used a lighted switch for the over ride.

Should be an easy job, I tie wrapped up everything and it fit nicely tucked away over the gas tank. good luck.

7. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

Thanks for all the info, but for whatever reason I still can't wrap my head around how to wire the lights. I know its common sense for many of you but its like a different language to me. I guess a picture is worth a thousand words, I'll try to find a diagram of exactly how to wire them. I'd rather not have to take it to someone to do what seems to be a fairly simple job. I wired my strobes without much problem and my spots off of the upper console switch, I can't let these reverse lights kick my ass.

If anyone has a diagram of the wiring layout that would be great.

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

9. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Also found this in some of my files:

Attached Files:

10. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

11. Mr. C

Mr. C Junior Member

I added the KC backup lights to my 2009 2500HD.

I felt 2 - 55W lightw was a bit much for the existing witing, so I used the relay kit as posted in this thread http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=85104

I eventually added another switch which I used to jump the contacts I specified in the diagram. Works great.

-mc