1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up lights

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by carpenter0090, Dec 19, 2010.

1. carpenter0090

carpenter0090 Junior Member

Hi guys .
    New to the whole plowing thing but I recently picked up a new boss super duty plow. Now I need some reverse lights. I have ladder racks and a bumper that I can mount them to. Im wondering what make,model and location you guys use.
  2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Welcome, The back up lights are really up to you and what you need, I will tell you what I have and you take from it what you will, I have two flood lights that come on when I put it in reverse, next I have two spot lights mounted high that come on when I turn them on with a switch, Last I have two flood on the sides of my truck (alley) lights
    On switches to turn on as needed, some will say this is over kill, But I have lighting when I need it.
    As far as make I ased standerd utility lights about $10 a each, good luck with your choice.
  3. carpenter0090

carpenter0090 Junior Member

Wow you must look like clark griswalts chritmas. lol. I was thinking something simalar. Some KC 2''x6'' floods for below the bumper. I wasnt sure if I should use floods or a differnt type of light up high
  4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Yes I get the x-mas tree remark all the time, I love it ,it's my thing.
    I chose the floors and spots for my taste, and I hope you do the same, it's your truck!
    Let us know what you decide.
  5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I bought 2 fog lites from Wal*Mart and put them on the top of my head ache rack. The fog lites are very brite. I have them on a toggle switch. At nite I just tun them on and leave tham on while I'm plowing.
  6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

You will want to keep your backup lights low so you can see without glare and reflection back from the snow when it is falling. Putting them in the headache or ladder rack will be too high, down low and angled out a little is the best way to do it.
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

My truck is a C and C so take me post with a grain of salt......

My truck is equipped with a back-up alarm and I have a switch that I can flip to turn on the reverse lights at will. (alarm is hooked into the reverse lights).

That works fairly well, and I also have a light on a switch for my spreader to see if I'm spreading salt or not. With both on, I get good visibility when backing up.