1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Up Lights on Bed Stakes???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FatherandSon, Jan 30, 2004.

1. FatherandSon

FatherandSon Junior Member

Love my "White Night" Back up lights that mounted on the trailer hitch. However, this last storm, I destroyed my second set. They are made out of plastic and do not stand up when you back into snow banks. With a 2003 F-250 Crew Cab, I do do that a lot.

My question is, has anyone found a way to mount them up on the bed like in the stake pockets? Just bought a set of KC lights that mount under the bumper but I know I will break them too under the bumper.

If anyone has found a way to mount them up high please let me know. Thanks for your help.
  2. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Anything is possible. I would try and get those rubber eye hook things they sell for the pockets and work of of that. You tighten the bolts and the rubber expands to give a snug fit. It is definitely better to have your lights up high. More visibility, and less chance of them breaking. You do not want to get behind our sander without shades on at night. :cool:

3. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

These work well, especially since they are angled. $8.95 each from Northern Tool. The bumper protects them pretty well.

4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

how about these :D
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

6. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

no way...better visibility down low....that is why plow lights suck so bad upfront..they are up too high. I think mounting them in the hitch area on a bumper is the best spot if no sander or back blade...
  7. cuttingchris

cuttingchris Junior Member

i just mounted fog lights on the end of an 8 it 2X43 then when i need it i slide them in the stake pocket when im done i take them out it works great
  8. cuttingchris

cuttingchris Junior Member

wow i messed that reply up it was supposed to say that i mounted fog lights to the end of an 8 inch piece of 2x4 then i just slide the 2x4 in the stake pocket when i dont need them i take them out
  9. FatherandSon

FatherandSon Junior Member

Thanks for the Advice

This site is great.... It is so nice to be able to go on here and get ideas from the pros that have tried different things. I really appreciate all the responses.

I think I will try the 2x4 in the pocket. Like I said my White Knights down on the hitch got totally destroyed twice as i back into the frozen snow banks.

Appreciate all the help, be safe and hope you all have a profitable winter.
  10. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

These are what he is breaking and trying to find another place to mount some lights. I though about mounting some in the step area by the plate like the above picture but the back of my truck is usually covered, plate and all. So I would also suggest mounting them in the stake pockets or getting a back rack and mounting them on there.
  11. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

IF you mount them in the step area of your bumper the heat of he lights should melt the snow.:D :D
  12. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

sorry your right, I should of read his post a little closer :dizzy: :dizzy:
  13. blam133

blam133 Junior Member

We plow with a 200o Chevy Duramax rack body. The stock tail/stop/turn/backup light units suck! We opted to replace them with a double housing using oval LED lights and I mounted 55 watt "BAJA BLAZER" driving lights ontop of the metal housing to to provide exceptional back-up lighting. The Baja's were $25 a pair...I put them on all the trucks! What a difference backing up while plowing!!
  14. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

blam133, how about a picture ??
  15. blam133

blam133 Junior Member

I'll take some pictures of my additions and try to figure out how to add them to this site. Yesterday was my first day on this site and I totally agree with you regarding the amount of knowledge available to everyone. I'll see what I can do about pictures...not sure about getting them posted today, we're expecting Ice/sleet/snow in large amounts this afternoon....yipeee!