1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up lighting????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by skferreri, Dec 14, 2011.

1. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

This year im plowing with a rear pullplow, its my first year trying one and need some opions on backup lights. I see alot of guys around me putting small flood light on the bed rail facing backwards.Wondering if its worth it or not?

2. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Which pull plow you using?

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have additional back up lights wired into my reverse circut mounte on the top of my bumper, as well as an additional set wired into a switch on my pull plow as well. That way if the rear plow is up, I can just flip the switch on and still see everything I am doing.

4. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

That was other other concern,either putting them on a switch or wire them to the reverse lights.The pull plow is a driftbuster.

5. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Just do it both ways. All you need is a DPDT switch. Off-On-Off. On one side of the switch is a hot feed, the other side of switch is the feed from the reverse lights. Then out of the center of the switch is the feed for the lights.

What I do is take the center feed and that is the power for my seperate switches that controls the lights I have. The switches then activate a relay for each set of lights. You need very little power to switch a relay.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can't have too much rear facing light.

Good advice, especially the relay. I think you find you leave the switch in the always on position, except when traveling.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Problem with wiring into rev. switch. depending upon with lights you get (leds excluded) you can burn up the switch. I personally switch and relay the lights. as far as kind, theres a TON of them out there to pick from. alot of people like leds---nice and bright. but as was discussed on another thread, they dont produce heat and there for wont melt the snow off them. whatever your choice just make sure you run a gnd wire as well and not just gnd to the frame etc...

8. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The range switch can easily handle the load of one relay...

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

oh yea, relay off the rev switch. thats just fine. i usually see the lights hooked into the rev. light circuit,

11. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

If the truck has a factory trailer towing package, then just plug into the trailer plug. On most trucks this is a separate fused circuit, so it's not over loading the actual reverse switch. The center pin is usually the reverse light circuit on a seven pin plug.
    Make sure you use lots of dialectric grease on the plug.

Bill