1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up light review, hopefully it will help other's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I always just ran a 3000 watt tractor light for extra reverse lighting, the typical 12.00 ones. Well I asked in another post about back up lights and was turned on to the DDtuning (I think) web site and found a set of led's. I bought the round 1350 lumens. I finally received them today straight from china, I could still smell the General To's chicken. I got them mounted and wired in and I have to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed. Don't get me wrong, they are bright and a good price at 39.99 ea. They are definitely brighter than the ones I used to have but if you really need to brighten things up behind you your going to need at least 3 or more lights to do so. I'm hoping once there is snow on the ground it will reflect a bit more. Again for the price you cant beat it and time will tell as to how well they perform in the weather. These lights are very thin, maybe an inch thick and about 5 inches wide. They also have cooling fins on them but I left them on for about 10 minutes and they were barley warm so I'm hoping they will be warm enough to melt off the snow otherwise they will be kind of useless. All in all not a bad light at all especially for the price but again, if you really need a lot of rear lighting your going to need 3 or more in my opinion. I would also suggest mixing in the spot light and flood lights together, mine are just the fog light lens and I have them angled to where the light is brightest and it only gets out about 5ft from the bed, this is where I think some spot light lenses would come in handy. If these hold up I wouldn't shy away from buying them again but a mix of different lenses would be key to seeing better. Hope this helps.

2. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

I appreciate the review as I was considering replacing my generic tractor lights on my trucks with this when the tractor lights burn out.

One thing to note is since your new ones are LED's they won't create enough heat to melt off the snow, you're going to have to make sure you keep them clear manually.

3. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Walmart lights

I bought a set of 55 watt Walmart lights and mounted them on top of my dump. While they do put out light, I was not impressed, as the light went in a 180 degree circle instead of straight ahead. It seems as though I got more light to my left and right then I did straight ahead, Lol. Anyways, the $12 round lights mentioned earlier seem to work better than the $30 ones from Wally world?

4. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

X2...I have the same ones on my 2011...In all my years,I have yet to find a near headlight bright,backup light!

5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Buy a pair of sealed beam headlights (or any car's composite headlights in the junkyard) and make a bracket...headlight bright.

6. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Soundoff 1400 lumen flood lights. These are wicked bright. Brighter than my headlights by far

Also i noticed that the DDM 1350 lumens are only 18 watts
    The Soundoff 1400 lumens are 34 watts

So technically the soundoff's should be twice as bright? which i think they are. i don't think the DDM's are a true 1350 lumens.

Here is a link to my post on them
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=129783

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  7. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I bought som 55W Walmart Fog lights "Blazer International" All Weather. Says 10 degrees vertical, 130 degrease horizontal and 225 feet.H3 Halogen Bulbs. They were $18.99 no mention of Lumens or current requirements though.

8. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

I run the DDM lights and am happy with the results. I like the fact that they only draw a little over an amp each. Plenty bright for the places I have been and never had an issue with them freezing over or staying clean.

9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have 20 of the DDM lights. They are all on the back of my trucks, and loader. In 19 years of plowing I have never been more satisfied with the light I have when I shift the truck into reverse. These lights reach about 20 to 30 feet behind me and light it up like daylight. It lights up further than that, like to the tune of 50 or so feet back, but the light really starts loosing focus about 20 to 30 feet back. If there is a building, or a car, or something that will reflect light further out, they will be lit enough to see something is there, but if you need light further than 30 feet back, your going to fast to begin with.

10. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

I have a set of the soundoff floods I'm mounting on my backrack they r the square ones, 1k lumen?, and I have 2 ddm floods mounted to the rear of one 06 350, another two mounted on the salt dogg on the other 06 350 and another set of ddm lights are going on the backrack of the same 350. These have replaced the $12 halogen rubber enclosed worklights that we used to buy in bulk. I agree that the ddms are good bang for the buck, ill have some comparison shots between the soundoffs and ddms this week when the racks get back from linex

11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

:laughing:Figures........ I ordered a set 2 weeks ago cause of the reviews, NOW you post your critique...... They gotta be better than the $8 utility lights I use now.

12. Brian Young

Well like I said they are bright but not as bright as everyone would lead you to believe. I pointed the light to the brightest position on the ground and that was maybe 6-8ft from the bed. They did work nice for seeing the salt coming out of the v box so that eliminates a light that I dont need now. The guys who mounted 3 or more probably have better results than just 2 but again, I would buy again and probably will for our other truck. I didn't have any issues with snow covering them but there was more slush the other night than anything.

13. Mr.Markus

I got mine today and hooked one up where it'll be mounted. The difference is a crisper light. Helps me quite a bit cause i use my mirrors on account I can't see through the dump box. I had alot of light before but these are definitely an improvement. Less shadowy. You are right I fell for the hype it's not a night and day improvement but worth the $$$ IMO.

Some pictures... Driver side has the new DDM LED($39.99). Passenger side has standard rubber casing utility light($7.99)

back up lights 003.jpg

back up lights 004.jpg

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

$40 is cheap. I'm sure there is not one thing you can fix on your truck for $40.
    I hate using mirrors. I would rather look out the back window.

15. Mr.Markus

The shipping cost us another light.:realmad: I prefer mirrors, I had all kind of neck problems when I plowed with a regular pickup. I've yet to back into anything in 17 years with dumpboxes. The first time i do it'll be a doosey.

16. Brian Young

WOW those are a lot brighter than mine appear to be. Maybe I'll have to check the angle I have them but if your only running the 2 you said you bought, your getting better results than me for sure. BTW I ran (I think) 14 gauge wire also not that it would make a huge difference on led lights. And yes, mirrors all the way. Sometimes I can barley move my neck after getting out of bed,lol.

17. Mr.Markus

Brian, I only have one of the new ones hooked up, the other will go on tomorrow. I wanted to compare what I had to what the new ones are like. With the second one hooked up it'll be better still.
    Angles are important, they should be aimed out slightly to light up stuff behind to the side of you for your mirrors to pick up.Thumbs Up

18. Brian Young

How many other lights do you have mixed in? I might have to adjust mine up a bit but like I said I am happy with them and I really like how they light up the salt coming out of the v box. I can now easily see both sides of the salt being spread. Looks sweet!

19. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

looking good! Mine are shipped beginning of the week, should be here soon.

20. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Subscribed