1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up light question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by the_mayor, Jan 11, 2007.

1. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

After wiring aux. reverse light up to the back of my superduty i noticed when I put the truck in reverse the lights are dim. How do I get more power to the lights but still keep them hooked up to reverse gear? I mean I know how but I need the name of the part and how it hooks up. Anyone?

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

You need a relay. Someone did a really good post earlier about wiring up to a 3 way switch so you can choose between running the lights when in reverse or leave them constantly on.

3. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

Does the relay just hook up between the spot light and the battery?

4. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

yes it does, but also connects to the stock back up lights to switch them on. I have mine on a relay and a 3 way switch so I can have them turn on along with the stock ones when I go into reverse, I can turn them on alone if I want to regardless of what gear I'm in, or they can be off regardless of what gear I'm in. All you need to do is run a constant power to one pole of the switch to a relay for the constant on position, splice into the stock back up wire and run that to another pole of the switch then to the relay (same relay pole as the constant power) and then a constant fused power from the battery to the relay and from the relay to the lights. I just don't recall the relay pole letters that correspond with feed, load, and switch off the top of my head

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  5. LON

LON Senior Member

Wired up this way do the back-up lights come on as well when you turn the switch on to run the lights in any gear? I would think they would.

6. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

be sure to have good ground for those lights, sometime I run a ground wire to lights in back it has help alot, I did that to my brake lights in back it worked!

7. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

No they don't. That feed is on a different pole on the switch so it doesn't get back fed and power the stock lights, only the work lights

I did the same thing. The lights were "self grounding" but I pulled the bulbs out and ran a true ground to the body

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not if there was a diode in the relay.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Don't power your extra backup lights off your existing backup circuit. The park/reverse switch is not designed for the current flow. They are not easy to change either and cost like $75. This may be a good reason why they are dim, the contacts are overloaded.
    You can use a relay with the negative leg of the relay trigger switched. Use the positive lead off the backup light circuit to trigger the lights when the backup lights come on.