1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back up Equipment

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Jeckstine, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

How many of you guys keep back up equipment at the shop? I was considering getting a second salter as a back up in case I break the one I have. This winter i backed into something with my tailgate salter and bent the transmission shaft. Was trying to decide of I wanted to just keep parts on hand or have a entire salter on stand by.

2. plowntm

plowntm Junior Member

I keep a back up salter, you never know when something could happen. I even have a back up plow.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed!......

4. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

In the back of my head I know that is what i should do. It has been a good winter so now is the time.

5. procut

procut Senior Member

Considering salt spreaders break down constantly a spare is a good idea.

6. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

back up equipment is essential when you can afford to have it. I have a back up skid and back up plow truck at the shop and neither has been called on this year but I do sleep better knowing in a pinch we could keep going. Of course they both get used for other things too so thats another plus.

7. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I keep backup equipment and wiring. I am just one truck.

8. BladeBlowBucket

BladeBlowBucket Member

I Always Have a Back-up PLAN ! …… like many of us to have another piece of equipment just sitting is virtually impossible to have ……

This time of year my back-up Plan is a Buddy of mine that has almost identical equipment and competency level as my self to cover me incase of an emergency ….the same goes visa-versa …..it's worked that way for over 25yrs. Thumbs Up

9. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

My backup plow truck is my personal vehicle but it has gotten me out of difficulties a handful of times in the last several years. I ran a single truck for years with 40 driveways & a few small commercials, and somehow I never had issues mid storm. I knew I beat the odds too long so I traded a small SUV for a Tahoe,and that worked great for the occasional bailout. Replaced that with a 1500 GMC again, just in case

10. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

I don't keep backup equipment, but I do have an extra truck full of tools, spare parts, and a tow strap. Haven't had any issues yet that I couldn't fix out of the service truck. Maintenance is key. Maintain in the shop or freeze in the field.

11. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

I have a spreader I wanna sell.

12. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

I decided to pull the trigger and get a second salter. Got a good deal on it so I can't complain. Thanks for the input guys!

13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

And have backups for your backups.. be it plans or equipment. Cuz we tend to break stuff when the conditions are at their worst, and often multiple things go down at once! ;)

Plan ahead!

14. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I have a few 0 tolerance customers and probably have too much back up equipment but IMO my customers are not only paying for good service but reliable service also. I think my prices reflect the fact that I have back up stuff in case something goes down....I can still maintain their properties. I discuss with all my new customers..what level of preparedness do they require and expect.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  15. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

We have 7 plow trucks, 4 of which have salt spreaders. Now we run 3 crews of 2 trucks. Each crew has one spreader. The 7th truck and spreader are the back up that bounces around where it is needed when everything is up and running. This season the big international lost the tranny and customers never noticed a difference in service.

So yes we have back up equipment but it doesn't sit and wait for something else to break.

16. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

:mechanic: I have back up trucks , plows, spreaders, and push spreaders . because in this kind of work things just break or quit anytime .you have to be ready for the unexpected all the times . ussmileyflag

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  17. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Is this another glass half full, glass half empty thing? :rolleyes:
    At what point do you not have one spreader and one backup, but two spreaders and no backup?
    If you have one spreader and one backup, why are you not utilizing your equipment you have?
    If you have two spreaders and no backup, are you a wreckless amature?
    :laughing:

18. CCL Landscaping

CCL Landscaping Senior Member

I'd rather use the equipment but take on say 80% capacity so if 1 went down the others could pick up the slack

19. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

So based on the two spreaders idea, you are only using each one at 40% capacity?
    Sorry, this is the thinking/crap that keeps me up at night...
    And with plows: our small plow may be able to do what the big plow does, but the big one can't do the small plow work... :dizzy: