1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up cameras

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by On a Call, Feb 19, 2015.

1. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

After three bashed bumpers....I am thinking perhaps a camera might be cheaper.

So do any of you use them ?

Do you like them ?

Or think they are a waste ?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Hit a few more flag poles?

IMO the cameras won't do you any good if you are not looking. If you can't look out the back and see something, what makes you think you will notice it in a tiny little screen? Just pay attention to your surrounding and you will do fine. Also stop plowing for 30 hours straight, Thumbs Up

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Slow down Camera isn't going stop you from smashing a bumper if you are driving to fast.

Put flat bed on you beable see better and you wont smash a bumber on it

4. kwbblades

kwbblades Junior Member

I would like to have them the problem is where to mount them? Very limited amount of spaces to mount them in a truck with a salt spreader. Most trucks are fine without them with a good driver, although our dump body truck is terrible for visibility.

5. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Like said you have to be looking at them and get used to what you are actually seeing. Most have a fisheye lens so everything becomes slightly distorted so the bigger the screen the better. I have the factory installed camera on my '15 2500 and love it I can backup and park within inches of other cars, but I have always had the camera in my SUV so I am used to it.

6. NoProblem

NoProblem Member

I have the factory installed camera on my '14 1500 and it works great as long as the lens is clean. Any bit of rain or snow that kicks up from the road attracts to the lens and makes the view all blurry - pretty much renders the camera useless. So I don't think a camera will be much help when you're plowing. If they could figure out how to keep the lens completely clean then that'd be something different.

One thing nice is a good set of backup lights. Back-up Buddy lights are pricey but wow, they turn night into day for backing up and have helped me avoid smashing into the usual obstacles - for my money, better to get a good set of backup lights then a camera.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Also stop plowing for 30 hours straight,

I thought it was 42?
    But alas, a thread about back up cameras, and 3 bumpers from someone who plows that long. Hummmmmm

8. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Bumpers were more from trying to get too close to pole, trees, and walls. Not really from being tired or lack of sleep :) I am supper man, but my trucks are not.

LED back up lighting is nice, but I can see well enough out the mirrors.

My problems are more like...how close can I get to that wall.

My bumpers are not smashed...just light creases.

9. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Oh...and it was 48 with two cat naps.

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Again that's not straight....getting to close and seeing double? I bet that was it. Superman? Yea ok troll

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

X2 on junk in the snow. They are worthless when you drive in the snow.

12. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I have one that I mounted on my sander... I find it to be very usefull. I do have to clean it off in every lot after going down the road.. I only use it when backing up against stuff, I will glance at while backing up,But always use ur mirrors....

13. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Yeah I know I cheated...but I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn like you ;)

I guess I will scrap the camera idea. Perhaps if it is mounted high say like on top of a spreader. Perhaps make a case for it ???

I was just trying to pass on a thought.

Not nearly as nice of an idea as the Window well/ tire well idea. He gets fives stars !!!

Good luck this weekend you southern and east guys. We are missing the bulk of it. The were calling for 8-12 now it is 1-3 leaning more on the 1.

14. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

I know what you mean about the salt/dirt getting on the lens, I use rain-x to treat the lens and it makes a huge difference. I put just a little bit on the lens and I am usually good for most of the storm, as soon as I see it starting to cloud over again I take 30 seconds and clean it. Haven't ever backed into anything yet.

15. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Keep a trailer hitch on; that'll hit before your bumper does.

16. KL3540

KL3540 Senior Member
    from Almont

I have a camera on my truck and love it. It's saved me numerous times. I realize youre talking for snow storms, but it will help all year round.

With that said, it does suck driving down the road. The men's gets covered but from time to time wipe it off, like each time you pull up to a site. Takes 5 seconds to get your butt out of the seat and back. I love the rainex idea and will try this today.

Check out tractorbynet forum. There is a current thread going regarding a complete setup guys are using on their tractor for $50. That's camera, monitor and all. I will probably be ordering this setup. Cheap easy and if it doesn't work to my liking, it only $50. Guys seem to really like it.

If I can cut and pasted the link, I will

17. oreo_n2

oreo_n2 Junior Member

The factory camera on my tundra is awesome. I am totally addicted and i get out at almost every customer stop to clean the lens.
    Screen is flip down in the center visor, kinda small but works.

When i remember to look at it, it gets me into some incredible tight spots i wouldn't consider with out it. I had Boomer McCloud install a switch in my truck to keep the camera on, so its not turning on and off every time i switch from F to R.

On my next truck, which will be sander equipped, i'll have Boomer hook me up with a camera i can mount right to the rear, top, of the sander body... like the garbage trucks use.

Judging by responses... it might be time to hit the shop and design a lens cover that works to keep these things clean for everyone.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  18. KL3540

KL3540 Senior Member
    from Almont

19. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

How about a distance sensitive backup alarm like the newer vehicles have? This way you dont have to watch the monitor while backing up.

20. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

I swear by them. I have them on all my trucks and even skidsteer.. i get mine on deal extreme or ebay for less then $150... easy install!!! Dont go wireless thr crap!!! As for a tiny screen not the case all my screens are 7inch colour with night vision cameras... my new driver absolutely loves it!!! It takes about 15 seconds to get out and wipe with a napkin!!! I think once you have one you'll never go back without