1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Up Camera

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by korelandscaping, Aug 28, 2007.

1. korelandscaping

korelandscaping Member
    from CT

Does anyone out there use a back up camera on their truck? I'm thinking of fabbing up a Daniels pull plow on my dump truck and I'm thinking a back up camera would be a nice addition. I already have the radio/dvd head unit so it would only cost 175.00 more to add the camera. Thanks for your input.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

2 of the guys that I plow with bought them last year. These were the $120 type from Costco. They worked well during the day but were almost useless at night.

3. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Last year at the very end of the season we mounted one on the one ton after one of our guys knocked over a light pole. Im not sure of the brand of it, but it was a wireless one and I dont think it was top of the line. When you would be moving there was alot of fuzz on the screen. I think this year we are going to install a non wireless one and see what thats like. We plow with our sanding rig, so its nice to have in there cause you cant look out the back window.

4. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

There awesome for hooking up a trailer but would be useless in the winter.You would be out of the truck cleaning the thing off all the time.Iv got one on my dually that I need to replace because it got water in it.

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have a wirless mounted on my vbox its wired to turn on when put in reverse
    also add to tractor lights to help light up the rear .works great. funny part is sometimes ill be driving and it pickup baby wireless cameras in peoples houses

JR

6. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Mine truck is all set up and also just the camera away from a backup camera install. I have toyed with the idea and If i do it, there are cameras out there with built in lighting with a ring of LED's around the lens. The part of keeping it clean I think would be the biggest problem. I was thinking of fabricating a tilted glass cover that could be wiped off easy at a angle downward like a lobster boat windshield so snow would stick on it.

7. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

hey cardoctor, where do you have your camra mounted on your v-box? I put ours right on the drop box for the sand, but I think I get to much vibration when its running and it screws up my wireless signal, but of course this is a pretty cheap one.

8. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i mounted mine on the shoot i have it angled down where to closest part of the pic is 3 ft behind the truck. i dont run the spreader all the time only when im on site salting.
    JR

9. MnM

MnM Senior Member

i have a pioneer wired unit that displays on my pioneer avic N1. I also have the rhino back up light system and they work well together. I only jumped out once or twice to clean it off in a storm. Overall I am very happy with mine. Night, day whatever.

10. New Heights

New Heights Senior Member

Hey MnM lets see some pics of the pioneer system. How has it been, dose have navi, what did you pay? Thanks Dan.

11. korelandscaping

korelandscaping Member
    from CT

I have the pioneer head unit and the back camera is under 175.00. I figure it would be worth the investment. I have piaa back up lights so the lighting issue shouldn't be a problem. Like most others said, cleaning it might be a small problem. I figure I would try to tuck it under the body a few inches and also try to enclose it somehow.

12. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

If you really want to get into the project, you could make a plexiglass (or similar product) cover for it with a flat front to it, then you could go to the junkyard, dig around and get a volvo headlight wiper assembly and fab it to keep the camera cover clean!

13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

That's a good idea. Hmm:rolleyes: think my wife would miss her wipers?

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My wife wouldn't even notice they were missing untill it rained!!

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

There's a company that makes a cleaner for the cameras, shoots it with a blast of air.

http://www.msfoster.com/cw.html

They really don't get that dirty. I have one on one of my trucks, at worst, we have to clean it off about once a load of salt (which is 7 tons). Takes maybe 30 seconds, they cost about $500 give or take and can save that much if you have a $500 deductible. Worthwhile investment IMO.

16. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

mark that's a slick setup. It kind of big for a pickup IMO. I think a rag and a bottle of Windex is in the future for me.

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, paper towel, windex or snow works just fine for me too.

18. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

backup camera

Ford offers one on their 2008's I just got mine with it. the camera is by the tailgate handle and when you put it in reverse a color picture shows up in the left side of your rearview mirror and goes away when you shift out of reverse Nice system

19. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I would take plowing with the tailgate off, over that.

20. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I bought two from a local RV dealer (Camping World) for about $250 each, they were fiberoptic with voice and they work fantastic. You can even get an extra camera with plug in extension cord if you pull a trailer. We love them!