1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Up Camera

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fms, Dec 28, 2005.

1. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Looking for input on back up cameras.
    Do they work when it's snowing?
    Are there heated cameras that keep the snow and ice off?
    What brands are people using and what are the price points?
    Where are the monitors being mounted and how big are they?
    I saw what looked like a10" monitor in a municipal truck.
    I'm plowing an extremely busy lot and I'm amazed at the number of people that jump behind my truck. I need a little more visibility behind the sander.

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

used to wok for a trash company we had them in the front loaders and recycle trucks. worked pretty good never saw a heated one but don't recall ever having them ice up. you will have to get out and wipe the dirt off it now and then.10" monitor is a little large we used 5 1/2"

3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

they make heated ones aswell. They are keyhole size. If a heated one isn't available you could rig something up around the lens.

4. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I have had one on my Suburban for the past 5 years, best $500 I ever spent. The Suburban has lots of blind spots but the back up camera is a fantastic investment. I got it at Campers World (installed for $500) and am thinking about putting them on my pick ups with the tailgate spreaders. You can come to within an inch or two of a garage wall or the car behind you without hitting anything. I have a black and white 5" monitor, it has a fiber optic cable that goes from the camera unit to the monitor and the camera even has a built in microphone that plays through the monitor so you can hear people at the back of the truck. You can back up to trailers without needing someone to guide you, you can even over ride the monitor (it comes on automatically when you go into reverse) so you can watch the load on you trailer as you go down the road (I use this allot when trailering my Harley's, always good to make sure any tie downs don't come loose!). Again, don't know how I ever lived without one! :nod:

5. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Friend has one hooked up to a Pioneer monitor. Only problem he has is "white out" caused by direct hits from overhead or mis-aimed lights.

He doesn't have the heated one, but hasn't had a snow or ice problem - yet.

6. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Wow a heated reverse camera?!? That's incredible.

I have a reg. cab truck, so I haven't had the need for one, but my father is looking into it for his Ram 3500 QuadCab 8' Utility Box.

7. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

i made mine, everything off ebay, cost me under $150. color monitor always on, with a inferred color camera mounted in the back wired to the reverse lights, works great for hooking up the trailer and backing into tight areas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi snowy
    That looks great, is there anything special about the camera? What other suppl's do you need to wire it? Special wire or cable? I would like to mount one to my salt spreader so I can see whats behind me.

Thanks Mike

9. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

nope, you just need one rca type cable to go from the camera to the monitor, and the power cable, which you can wire however you want.

10. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

11. flykelley

Thanks Snowy
    Do you have to power the camera or is power fed through the monitor back to the camera? I think I will order one, did your's come from the guy oversea's or someone in the state's?

Thanks Mike

12. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

you have to power the camera, i wired it to the backup lights so when i go in reverse the image shows on the screen, i have the monitor wired to the key so its always on. I think i got it from overseas

13. flykelley

Thanks Snowy
    I'm haeded to ebay and see whats out there. Is there anything to stay away from?

Thanks Mike

14. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

no i cant think of anything, sorry

15. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Slick idea.. but question, how do you protect from salt?

Something that I did see today.. travel trailer on I71 heading south stopped at the gas station (obviously not plowing this year!). He had a camera on the back of the trailer w/ an antenna.

His camera has a wireless transmitter & the truck has the receiver. No wires to the truck. Powers the transmitter from the hot line running to the trailer.

He didn't have any details on where he got it except he found the parts from a security system on Ebay and installed himself.

Pretty slick if you are pulling a trailer.

16. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

golden arches - its water proof, im not really worried about it since it was pretty cheap, but i shrink wrapped the wires and connectors

17. flykelley

Golden Arches
    There is a wireless camera on ebay but it only works down to 14 C Other than that it was looking good. Go to ebay and do a search for rear view remote camera, there are about 40 ads.

Good Luck Mike