1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up Camera...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Redwing52, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Redwing52

Redwing52 Junior Member

Hello everyone.
    I'm kind of new and need some help if you have experience. Off topic so forgive me please. I am helping a friend who has fused vertebra in his neck and can't turn it much. He plows snow for a living and needs to back a lot. He wants me to install a back up camera for him. The best for the job. He had two backing accidents in one day last year because he can't turn his head. I am thinking a wide angle would be important as well as the ability to see in low light as he plows at night most often. If there is some experience out there please feel free to share.
    The truck it is going on is a flat bed pickup with a protector behind the cab. Like a roll bar. Would it be a good idea to mount it to the protector for more field of vision? I have been looking and I see most cameras are integral with the license plate holder. If mounted on the rear of the truck even at 170 angle of vision I am not sure that would give him a view of vehicles approaching from the side. Like when he is backing up near a driveway apron and some one comes driving in too fast. That is why I am thinking on the protector? Any help is appreciated. What to look for? Viewing angle? Brand? Monitor type and size? Link to suggested? Money is not as important as good function for the job.
    Thanks,

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

No offense intended but enough people are hurt by healthy people.

Ur friend has no business plowing.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

ditto, it could be time to retire.

Q how do you propose to keep the snow and road spray off of the camera?
    its hard enough just keeping the windows clear.

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

I hate to say it, but if he can not turn his head enough to use his mirrors, he should not be driving.

5. Redwing52

Redwing52 Junior Member

Guys,
    I think I gave you the wrong impression. He certainly has enough range of motion to use his mirrors. Who thinks it is safe to plow snow using the mirrors only? You need to turn your head to see what is coming from the rear and side/s. He can do that but it is difficult and to do it 1000 times a night? All he needs is a little help. An aide like windshield wipers or mirrors. As for keeping the camera clear it is not an issue. I was a municipal mechanic for over 40 years and we had lots of camera's on our trash trucks and some plow trucks. A hood over them is all they ever had.
    In the incidents he had it was not his carelessness. Both times he was backing in a business parking lot and a customers car came off the street. (not being considerate to the plow truck. Ever have that happen?) He was backing and the car came in like it was July. With a camera allowing him a fraction of a second the issue never would have happened.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

A hood will keep the camera clear in the winter.
    hahaha, I might have been born late at night but it wasn't last night.
    working with snow for well over 34yrs has thought me that a "hood" will not keep it clear.
    heck, it can be difficult to keep the windshield clear with wipers.

He has already had incidents that are related to his handicap.
    This should be sending up red flags.

next.....

ps how will it go in court when he backs into something or someone and his disability comes to light?

Have him sit at home and answer/field calls on the phone.

7. 1olddogtwo

You can rationalize it you want, it isn't going to cut it.

I've been using back up cameras since 08. They are only good for backing up closely and hooking up trailer. Hell one truck had two of them.

If anything, they can be a handicap.

If you have so much experience, why you asking us?

8. Redwing52

Redwing52 Junior Member

I was a municipal mechanic for more than 40 years and we had trash trucks that went out very day rain or shine. The Intec cameras that came with heated hoods (Intecs term) and they never (never) had an issue. These trucks were out in blinding snow and bitter cold as well as 100 degree days. I would bet he would be safer with his "handicap" and a camera than most who are plowing at night with no camera and no handicap. If you can't help with the camera please don't comment. He is an otherwise very able bodies, safe plow operator that just needs a little help. I was just looking to see if anybody has a system that is better than the Intec. If not that is my choice for Tom.

9. Redwing52

Redwing52 Junior Member

10. Redwing52

Redwing52 Junior Member

Used in Chicago O'hare to monitor and Deice aircraft. Might be kind of harsh environment?

11. Randall Ave

I don't think anyone is trying to be a wise a$$. By your description, he had two accidents in one day. His insurance has got to be high. And I'm surprised the account would have him back. Anyway, the camera will have to be tailgate high to be effective. Make sure he has sufficient rear emergency lighting and a darn loud backup beeper

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have your answer.

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Not really, I bet it gets washed with deicer all the time and it's not subject to salty, grimey road spray.
    More that just ice can cover it.
    ( why doesn't it have a hood over it? As you said that's all it needs)

Even with defrosters on our windshields ( in various trucks ans equipment ) it can be hard to keep them ice free.

Let's compair apples to apples.
    we/ and a few others are allready familiar with a cam mounted to the back of a plow rig or even on the headache rack.
    But all you want to hear is, what a great idea, he s not a liability,.
    Yet here you are, and with all of your experience with them I ask the same Q, as
    1olddog.

So why not post some pics of your cam etc etc and report back as to how it's working....when the crap is hitting the fan

At some point you have to step up & take the keys away from dear old dad.
    Maybe he's fine driving the family car, but should he really be plowing snow?

Modify the truck, put a wiper and defroster on the rear window, mount cam inside.

14. Redwing52

Redwing52 Junior Member

Randall, Thank you for your reply. I don't doubt his insurance was affected but he own 3 businesses and gets one policy so not to bad. He pays ,$25,000 plus each year so he is a pretty good "customer." All of his trucks have piercing backup alarms and strobes. They have switches to turn off the alarm when plowing hotels etc. Necessary evil, I guess. I was thinking that I would even mount it on the safety cage that protects the cab. That would give good view of the rear of the truck, what is behind and to the side. I'll be able to test different positions when I get the camera. The trash trucks I referenced were mounted about 6 to 8 feet up in the tailgate and worked well. They often had to back from a drive where the view was blocked by a building out on to a main road. The camera offered them a chance to look down the road some to see if the way was clear. A real life and property saver.

15. Randall Ave

Jeez, I pay over 20,000 a year. My picture must be hanging in the underwriters Hall way.

16. Redwing52

Redwing52 Junior Member

I know I can never change a closed mind. We each have our own opinions. I respect yours. I did some digging on the internet and did find it was a love hate relationship. Many opinions came from this site. I post this for those who might want to look at the possibility of a GOOD camera. It needs to have a heated hood to stop fogging etc. As you will see it can require a cleaning or two per night but not a big deal. I would say this from experience. Don't buy a $100 unit and expect the moon. The good quality cameras are heated and have a lux of less than one candlepower per 20 feet or even better. Below are some opinions from users. Seems the ones that bought the cheapy were not happy. The better, heated cameras seem to work quite well. If they save one crash they paid for themselves. Good luck to all and be safe. I'm off to order my Intec now. :)

http://www.plowsite.com/archive/index.php/t-164348.html

http://www.plowsite.com/archive/index.php/t-161287.html

http://www.snowplowforums.com/forum...ries/27554-backup-camera-recommendations.html

http://www.snowplowforums.com/forum...ries/27554-backup-camera-recommendations.html

http://www.plowsite.com/archive/index.php/t-112902.html

17. Redwing52

Redwing52 Junior Member

Bet they like you! :laughing:

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Cool,
    I'd like to see a pic of the scren
    As it would look in the dark after a hr or 2 of use.

Also, why/ how would an employee know how much the business owner is paying for INS to cover 3 business?

Ps some minds become closed from experience.

19. 1olddogtwo

Will the heater remove excrement?

20. Randall Ave

Matter of time on this thread. If he had three businesses. Why doesn't he put employees in the trucks and he run the show. I take it he's a larger snow removal operation.