1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up bumper to protect spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by EdNewman, Dec 31, 2010.

1. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

I back bladed a double loading dock, spun around and backed down to push up. I hit the brakes and the truck slid a few more feet and tapped the bottom of the dock. I bent the upper shaft on my snow-ex V7550. Still works but I was suprised it bent when the bump bar that is supposed to protect it did not bend. The whole spinner pivoted up a bit and that somehow resulted in the bent shaft. Anyway, I was thinking about either welding up a "T" of 2"x2" box to put in the receiver to stick just past the spreader as a stronger bumper. Anyone do anything like this?
  2. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

Don't have any ideas. But I would like to see pics. of how others have protected their sanders. This is a problem, I am surprised sander manufacturer's haven't addressed it.

Any independent companies that fabricate this need? Good luck.
  3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I've got a TGS but the same problem is found with them aswell, but with them the motor is exposed. First off I felt the motor was hanging way to low and wanted it at least as high as the receiver hitch. So I raised the hole spreader 5inches with 3" channel iron for those unexpected trips in a ditch. Then I took some 2' dia 1/4" DOM tube, 3/8" X 3" flat stock, 3"X3" angle and welded up a bolt on bumper. By raising the motor the bumper is running parrel with the receiver.
    Being a TGS the Bumper acts like a stand when it off the truck.

1-1-2011 crashbar.jpg

1-1-11 003.JPG
  4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Not yet on my 06 Chevy but I'm going to get some iron pipe to place inside my receiver ends,4 90* fittings,bring the pipe on the backside of the spinner.Worries me all the time,got to get it done.