1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back-Up Buddy

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by searay220, Jan 7, 2010.

1. searay220

searay220 Member

Have you seen the Back-Up Buddy forums on the equipment heading? Wow a really nice looking unit. Mounts to your reciever hitch with 2 reverse lights and a strobe. I really like the idea of this unit however it is very pricey. Also if you back up into a snow bank it will get destroyed. I'm wondering if the parts for this are available to the general public to purchase like the oval amber strobe with a switch. If you could get someone to weld up some 2inch sq steel and have it come back under your bumber so it is protected would be the way to go. A few simple mods this would be ideal. Just don't know if you can buy this stuff. What do think?

2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

3. ejsmass2

ejsmass2 Member

i have the backup buddy

They have built a very high quality product. It has survived a number of snow pile hits with no damage this far. I am very pleased with the job they have done and would recommend the product. I got the one with the led lights and am very happy.

4. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Sometimes it seems like a product may be easily reproduced, but in reality a lot of troubleshooting and testing has gone into the actual production unit by a company. My advice to you is if the product will fit your needs, buy it. I do not have any affilliation with BackupBuddy.

5. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Something not mentioned in post #2 is a relay for the backup lights to get all the "juice" they need to be at full brightness. Paint/powder-coating, sealant, and other miscellaneous stuff should be factored in when figuring the cost cost of a thses. You do get "free labor" if you DIY, though. ;)

Did you see the page on Back-up Buddy's site with a discount for PlowSite members? That trims 10% off the price.

I think the choice of 35W or 50W utility lights is something new.

6. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Forgot about the relay my truck came with a relayed back up circuit from the factory so I forget about that important step.

7. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

i just bought a light that plugs into the trailer light plug, it has two settings reverse and utility light, halogen light bulb, but i also just bought a salter and the salter covers where the light would shine so i cant use it. gonna return it or sell it. 35.00 shipped

8. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

How bright does it get?

9. Maine_Train

And how/where does it mount?

10. backupbuddy

backupbuddy Senior Member

Light kit

If your interested I just made a light kit for a guy that you just have to bolt on to your sander and plugs into your 7way which will automatically go on in reverse and with the flick of a switch the lights will stay on if you need extra light to see. Cost $69.00 plus $10.00 s/h for 35w or $79.00 plus $10.00 s/h for 50w halogens. both kits come with 2 lights w/ switch, 4ft weather resistant wire between lights, 4ft weather resistant wire with 7way male connector all assembled. Send me an email if you are interested to
    sales@back-upbuddy.com.

Thanks,
    Gary
    Back-up Buddy Inc.

11. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

If I am thinking of the correct one, it literally is a one piece unit that plugs into the trailer plug. The light and all is self contained. So it is sticking out of the trailer plug.

12. Maine_Train

Oh, okay. I was interested in something that would mount a little higher, maybe bed rail level. For anything at hitch level, I'll just go with something more solid and with more light output, like the Back-up Buddy.
    Thanks for the info.

13. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I have been all over the back up buddy website and can't find anything about a plowsite discount.

14. backupbuddy

Plowsite discount

Here is the link www.back-upbuddy.com/plowsite.asp

Gary,
    Back-up Buddy Inc.

15. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Thanks, I sent an email with some questions too.

16. Maine_Train

A hunnert and thirty-eight posts, and ya don't know the Secret Handshake yet?

Juuuust kidding . . . :jester: (I'd have given it to you, if Gary hadn't gotten there first.)

17. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Thanks I'm becoming a Plowsite Junkie. So what's the secret handshake?:D

18. backupbuddy

Pics

I have received a few emails about this so here are a couple pics. All you have to do is bolt them onto your sander and plug them into your 7way. No hardwiring involved.

Gary

lights.jpg

lights2.jpg

19. Maine_Train

Wicked cool. :cool:

Now if you cobble up something to go in the stake pockets of my truck, with a wye connector so I can run the GG304 directly behind and those other lights a little to the side, I might not back into/over anything.
    Some additional amber LED flashers to the sides and rear will be right handy, too.
    Gee, I think I feel a high-tech-designing session coming on. :D

20. backupbuddy