1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Up Alarms

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnoFarmer, Feb 13, 2007.

1. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Back up alarms.

Do you use them?

If so what kind are you using?

2. Rickco

Rickco Member

I have one on the dump. Requiered. Not sure what type it is but I've put a switch in to turn it off. No BEEP BEEP BEEP at 3 AM

3. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I installed a cheap one on my pickup. When it died I never fixed it. Was more annoying than anything.

4. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

I was wondering the same :alien:

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I too have one on my dump as it's required, not on the pickup. I do residential- the BEEP at 3AM as mentioned is bad. I usually leave the light bar off after 12am too- same reasons- not to wake the neighborhood any more than I have to.

6. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I thought anything...

I thought anything commercial had to have one? I might be wrong.I ran this style on all my trucks.Seemed like a good durable model.I've seen them under many different brand names and run about $23-

bu-1.jpg

7. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

They are on all of my trucks. Even my personal F350. Whelen makes the best, its arpund 102 db too I think.

8. Ultimate inc

Ultimate inc Junior Member

(had) one on my dump truck until we were doing a job where we were moving the truck dumping dirt and after a hour of BEEP BEEP BEEP every 2 minutes i walked over found the wire and ripped it out till it stoped. i think it ends up being a pain in the ass:realmad: but i see where some people might think they need them i don't even know if there required here they might be since the dump truck came from the dealer ship with it on.

9. 129

129 Junior Member

back up alarm

I plow a gas station. This year I put in a cheap back up alarm that fits into the back up light. So many people just walk out behind you when you are backing up, or drive right up to your bumper, I decided to put one in. Management of the store really likes it. It cost less then $35 bucks at NAPA. Not the loudest out there, but it does work. Plus I plow with a cap on so every bit helps.:salute:

10. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I used to use one until i got my new truck and I just haven't had a chance to put one back in. When I do get around to it I am going to wire it into a switch. This way I can turn it off for drives and on for my commercials.

11. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I used to have one on the old dump we had. Actually it had two, there was one in each taillight. I don't know if they are still that common, but ours plugged into the OEM light for the backup lights in the tail lights.

12. my 2002 duramax dump had one.....it made it about 20 minutes on the first snow of the year before my knife attacked its wire!

13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I have a Grote 'Big Mouth' on mine. 100+db. Wired into a toggle switch (switched the ground wire, positive into the reverse lights) so I only use it when plowing a lot thats open. People are like Lemmings....

14. lucky13rme

lucky13rme Member

That's how I have mine, wired to a switch, don't use it all the time only when in congested areas or lots of people. God forbid you back into someone without an alarm, you'll be completely screwed, compared to if you have a functioning alarm where some of the blame can be passed.

15. QCS

QCS Junior Member

I also have the type that goes into the oem back up light. It's not very loud, but does give ample warning when backing up. The 50 watt halagen bulb that accompanies the alarm is also an added plus.

16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Thats what I was thinking, useing a switch so you could turn it on or off.

I haven"t looked up the legal side of this.
    Anybody know the laws on this?
    Is it a O.S.H.A. requirment, state law or fed?

17. lucky13rme

lucky13rme Member

I tried looking up the legal aspect of it, didn't find any info on my state (CT) gov/dmv sites only info on flashing warning lights.

Did find this on OSHA:

Title 29 CFR 1926.601(b)(4) states:

§1926.601 Motor vehicles.
    (b) General requirements.
    (4) No employer shall use any motor vehicle equipment having an obstructed view to the rear unless:
    (i) The vehicle has a reverse signal alarm audible above the surrounding noise level or:
    (ii) The vehicle is backed up only when an observer signals that it is safe to do so.

It mentioned this for construction. I would assume it would apply here as well. With that said I think it would only affect guys that have v-box spreaders or caps as they might have limited visiblity. I'm thinking this statue is why trucks with dumps have the alarm installed already.

18. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have been thinking about it for awhile now, and will be going to buy one this weekend. I definetaly will be doing the switch so I can turn it off though....:rolleyes:

19. mathiastheok

mathiastheok Junior Member

Hi guys... first post but i know of these types of alarms that aren't annoying by any means.

I first heard one of these on a paving crew by my house when I was a kid. Basically its just a bell with metal hammers inside that mounts to your wheel... as you drive in reverse they fall and make a ding sound..

The sound is enough to warn someone but the ding is really pleasant and not annoying and kind of has an old school feel to it... (Geez am I describing a wine or a damn bell)

http://www.indus-tool.com/tri/Alarms/index.htm

8" Diamter Mechanical Alarm, Big Sound Output At A Low Price
    $70.00

[​IMG]

* Rugged wheel mounted 8" bell, easy to install
    * As vehicle moves, four gravity actuated hammers ring every 1/4 turn of the wheel
    * Totally mechanical and automatic
    * Mounts easily on wheel with standard tools
    * No wiring or additional controls needed
    * Made of Zince plasted 10 Gauge steel
    * Sounds with rearward movement when mounted on left side
    * Sounds with foward movement when mounted on right side
    * Universal Mounting Plate Adapts to odd bolt patterns
    * 8" diameter, 3" depth, Shipping Weight - 6lb

BKA
    6" Diamater Mechanical Alarm, Great for Public Safety and Industrial Applications
    $47.00

[​IMG]

* Rugged wheel mounted 6" bell, easy to install
    * Two internal hammers ound when vehicle moves
    * Can be set to sound in either foward or reverse motion on either side of vehicle
    * Totally mechanical and automatic
    * Mounts directly on wheel
    * No wires or switches need

20. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

So it attracts kids cuz they think the ice cream man is coming????:D Just bustin yer chops. I had one on my dump 550. Packed that baby full of snow by accident one nite backing thru a loader windrow about 3 feet high and it was silent till I washed the truck the next nite when I finished plowing. Mine was a 102 DB. I think I read in the Federal DOT handbook that they are required on all CMV's regardless of what state. But I certainly ain't going to get into another DOT B.S. fight session over this. Anybody want to check it out feel free.