1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up alarms?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J & B Lawncare, Oct 13, 2005.

1. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

I was wondering how many of us use back up alrms? Does insurance require anyone to use them?

J & B Lawncare
  2. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i use the alarm, it suchs at times, but in ct. if you get cought without it you could get a fine,from d.o.t
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I have one, its switched as they do get anoying at times. Not required but I thought it was a good idea
  4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Run em on all my trucks & equipment except my pick-up cause it didn't come with one!
  5. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i have installed them on my salting and sanding trucks but not on my other vehicles because we plow a couple apartment complexes and i dont feel the tenants would be happy with me at 2:00 in the morning.
  6. Big Dog D

If you are up shouldn't they???
  7. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

all trucks we use have them on and working.
  8. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

I have magnaflow 3 inch dual exhaust back up alarms.

9. Big Dog D

:dizzy: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:
  10. paponte

paponte Senior Member

We run them on all trucks except for pickups, due to a wider field of vision. :cool:
  11. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We run them on every truck... :D
  12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I run them on both dump trucks on toggle switches. No need for them in the middle of the night in wide open lots, but for day time use (especially in grocery stores etc.) because people run around like Lemmings.... :D
  13. Exciteable

Exciteable Member

I have a combo halogen back up light/alarm in my left side tailight.

It isn't as loud as your standard back up alarm (which is good)...
    But it's loud enough for a pedestrian to hear it. Let's face it, no matter how loud the alarm, how many people in cars, with their windows rolled up, their heater fans on high, etc. are going to hear one anyway.
  14. Exciteable

Exciteable Member

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

I just put one on my truck last week. Got a small one on ebay. I got it hooked to a switch inside the cab and to my back up light, so that I can turn it off when I'm not plowing. Once the switch is on, whenever I put the truck in reverse, it automatically comes on, and if the switch is off, it won't come on when I put the truck in reverse.
  16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If I recall, mine is something like 130 decibles... it's called a Grote Big Mouth ;) If people can't hear it, it's because they are deaf.
  17. Big Dog D

130 Db? :dizzy: Nobody doin this :sleeping: