1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back up alarm- where do you mount them?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Chandlerarms, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Chandlerarms

Chandlerarms Senior Member

I am thinking of adding a reverse alarm. Where is the best place to mount it. Can/should I mount it somewhere in the engine compartment? Save on routing it toward the back of the truck? I plan on putting on a switch.

Thanks

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A backup alarm needs to be mounted at the rear of the vehicle facing backwards. Under your bumper or to the side of your license plate would work. You should be able to see it to hear it properly. Under the hood wouldn't serve any purpose other then annoying you.

3. Chandlerarms

Thanks for the info. If it needs to be in the back, then the back it is. I've gotten pretty good at routing cables anyhow!

4. golfcar

golfcar Member

Wire it into your backup lights under one of them.

5. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

this is how it was on my old 90 before it accidently got hit with a hammer during a 30 hour storm:laughing:

6. Chandlerarms

Hummm. Golfcar. Can you explain a bit more? Just hot wire to hot then ground it? Is there a way to make it default "trigger" based off of your reverse lights but then have an option to turn them off if your in an empty lot or 30 hr storm?

7. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Run it off your trailer plug. Allot easier no splicing this splicing that. Make a magnet mount for the alarm stick it on your salter or bumper or wherever. I did that but the alarm got so annoying and no one payed attention at the apartments I used to plow. They don't move when the see a truck with a plow carrying a huge load of snow why would they move for a alarm. People do not even give may for emergency vehicles and there alarms never mind a silly beeping back up alarm.

8. Chandlerarms

So it sounds like a back up alarm is not worth the hastle???

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Heaven forbid something ever happened I think from a liability standpoint I'd rather have one then not. We have them on all of our equipment and I think they do help. I like Grassmans idea of install.

10. Chandlerarms

Yeah. I understand. If you hook to The trailer plug. How would it turn on when in reverse? Or is it on at all times while you are plowing?

11. Chandlerarms

Ok. So while sitting here I think I got it. So just like hooking up a utility trailer to the plug, I'd make a custom plug that would hook to the hitch plug and add a magnet to the siren. Sounds like a good idea- plus you could use it seasonal since in the summer it would sit most of the time, so I could un plug it. Does anyone have a "parts list"?

12. Grassman09

Yeah guess that outweighs the annoyance factor. How do I add one to the deere surprised it didn't come with one.

13. Grassman09

Yup.

1 7 way round trailer side plug
    2 #16 gauge wire ring terminals make it 4 you will need 2 for the back up alarm.
    Some dual wall heat shrink on the wire side of the ring terminals to keep the salt out of the wire. Wouldn't hurt to solder the wires once they are crimped as well.

2 Magnets.
    1 Can of fluid film to spray on trailer plug inside and out as well as on alarm terminals.

White noise back up alarm. They say its not as annoying to the ears. Whelen and Hella make them. Maybe even Grote.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psWBaxtK19g

[​IMG]

14. Chandlerarms

Great! Thanks. I think this set up will work well. I will post an update when it's done.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

JD sells a kit or you can order them from the factory that way. They use a pressure switch off a tranny port so we didn't want to screw with making our own.

16. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I don't know what truck you have but on my Chevys I mount them behind the bumper, on the frame near the spare tire mount.

That white noise alarm is interesting, although I wouldn't trust it till I have seen (heard) it being used. I really don't think it would be effective

17. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

this is the exact setup i first thought of! great minds think alike?
    Anyway... What do you plow with this truck Chandlerarms??
    If its only residential i dont think its as effective/ necessary.

18. Chandlerarms

Plowman- it's a one site gig. We own a 50 unit apartment complex broken up into Two parking lots (front and back) 62 parking spots. We have quite a few "older tenants". Just want to make sure we have no accidents (CYA). Based on the layout of the lot, we have to do allot of backing up. Effective/necessary?

19. Chandlerarms

Ps- it's not a huge lot, but there are always cars going in and out. Plus Ontario has some wicked insurance laws!

20. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

yea you should have one. Pretty much anything commercial you should have a beacon and a backup alarm. Most commercial trucks have on straight out of the factory.