1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back up alarm dodge 2005

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dixisland, Sep 25, 2005.

1. dixisland

dixisland Junior Member

What color wire is backup light on a dodge 2005 250 and what is the easiest way to install a backup alarm that can be shut off. Thanks dixisland

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Use a wire tap, tap into the backup light Poitive wire, run that wire up to your cab hook it to a toogle, run the other wire back to the alarm.I think it is a brown wire, just take off your tail light and look.

3. dixisland

dixisland Junior Member

Thanks, I figured out the wire color with a tester. Green and white. All hooked up waiting for snow in Maine

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I really hope you didn't use a wire tap. Strip the wire, solder and heat shrink it, it's more work now but you'll be glad you did it later.

5. SnowGuy73

Whats wrong with a wire tap?

6. Voyager AL

Voyager AL Member

They are not weatherproof. the water will corrode the connections shortly.
    I put on back-up alarms, but run only 1 wire to the toggle switch, and thats the ground wire. 12V at the lamp, ground the other side of the switch.1 wire is simpler to do..... :nod:

7. SnowGuy73

oh, ok Ive never had this problem I use them all the putting in backup lights.

8. Voyager AL

Voyager AL Member

they work OK under the dash. Exterior is a guaranteed problem in the future. Even stripping the wire, splitting the leads and insert and wrap, then tape is better.Thats the 12V industry's OK'd method.....I refuse to use them. Any problems I have had with comebacks on remote starts and alarms is USUALLY a solderless connector failure, or a Scotchlok failure.

9. SnowGuy73

Well thats good to know, I think Ill keep using them though...No problems so far and there cheap.

10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

hey i have a 2003 and i was looking to add aux lighting connected to my reverse lights for more lighting which color is it i hook it too the green or white supposing the 03s are the same as the 05s Thanks Tom