1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back to plowing again

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Blizzard Man, May 13, 2004.

1. Blizzard Man

Blizzard Man Junior Member

after being away from it for 20 years.Can't wait till sep.that's when we are buying our new truck
    We are getting a 2005 or a left over 2004.Got my insurance, business cards and contracts all ready to go.Come on snow!! LOL
    We are going to do residential.
    If we get a 2005 it will be a chevy 1500 w/7.5 western.I am keeping an eye on a chevy dealership with two 2004 3/4 ton 8'western polly leftovers.Don't have the money to get them know.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

WELCOME !!!

If you have any questions don't be afraid of asking, we are all here for you. Most are out mowing and playing with dirt and stuff so give us time to answer your questions. Mowing's, summers version of plowing snow so we need to get our"fix" while it's hot and day lights burning.

3. Natimas

Natimas Junior Member

I'm starting out this winter .........any tips on how to get new accounts

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Advertise all summer long then when winter hits everyone will have your name in mind, wait till the snow falls and drive around and see who still needs plowed after the first few inches, buy new shoes and go door to door in a comerical area. stand out in the croud carry your blade around all summer and make sure your name is on the side of the truck w/phone#. always make sure your equipment is clean and shinney.
    I would not do most of these any more because I don't have to but they would work.

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Natimas

I got back into plowing last Dec,when I needed a new truck,found a 2001 3/4 ton HD with Curtis Plow with 1,600 miles on it for 20.000. I have been out of the business for about 20 years now. I will be retiring from GM in three more years so it made sense to get back into it. I drove around after our first snow and started asking if they need to be plowed.
    After that it just snowballed all by word of mouth. I do what I say Im going to do when I say I'm going to do it. My customers almost never see me,my goal is to be done before they open and 99% of the time that happened.
    I also stop back by most of my accounts to double check them,they are all within 10 miles of my home and its a major rd which I travel everyday,keeps them happy.
    I pickup a new account last week because I was a my Credit Union last winter and the county had came by and plowed the shoulder during the night and all of the snow was in the driveways and frozen. Well here is a lady out there with a shovel trying to move this frozen mess. I came across the street dropped my blade,made two passes,stopped and gave here my card and told her I would like to bid here lot next year.
    Well she remebered me and called me last week and I now have anew account for 5 mins of my time.

Regards Mike

6. North Country

North Country Senior Member

Mike - It is great to see professionals out there! -

It sounds pretty basic 'When it snows, go to work.'

Too many contractors fail at this point, and when it comes to customer service it is normally non-existent. The more business' that operate correctly, as you do, the level of professionalism that we strive for as an industry can be realized. - michael

7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Mike

There are too many snow plow people out there that do not show up on time or do a bad job. I try to be fair with my price and do the job right. Well so far its working,I have enough work for me and everyone was by word of mouth. I will keep working hard and build my business and hopefully next year will need two trucks or a good sub.

Regards Mike

8. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

My son hands out fliers as he "Trick or treats". He can't wait to get his hands on my truck one day!

anthony tractor f150 2.jpg