1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Rack?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RAZOR, Apr 15, 2003.

1. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I am thinking of buying or building a Back Rack for my truck. I was hoping you guys that have them would be able to tell me if they block your vision when plowing.

2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

They really shouldnt be too bad since it is only thin bars that will be in your imediate view but do a search there are some pics and a custom chevy bowtie backrack.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Like Jay said,the bars are really pretty thin,they won't impede your vision.If your concerned about it,get one made without anything in the middle,just a rack,to mount lights,etc,and protect the cab.Any local fab shop can build one cheap enough.The backracks can be expensive.
  4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Wyldmans right, Unless you need the "back rack" look and logo any fab shop can put you a custom rack together for a lot less $$$. The backrack gives you the Bolt on convenience but you pay for it. Jerre
  5. kojak

kojak Member

I had mine made up with a removable center section. It doesn't affect vision much, and makes mounting and maintaining bubbles and extra lights so much easier. :) No more messing around trying to get at wiring.
  6. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

It does not disrupt the vision that much at all. We have one on our 2500hd and it is great, good place to mount strobe lights, use to chain down the fuel transfer tank, use it all year to tie stuff off to. Really like it. Just my two cents
  7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I built my own rack from 2"x2" .120" square steel tubing.

AS youc an see it doesnt interfere with rear visability sicne I put the two uprights right on the joints of my rear sliding window.

8. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

Snowybowtie: thanks for the photos. I like that rack, I hope you don't have a patent on it because I might just steal your design. lol.

9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

LOL, no patent, yet, been too busy lately....

I think it would be cool if you did copy my design. However If you do not have a tool box, I would recommend using larger triangular support braces than the ones I used. :drinkup:

10. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I love mine and use it all the time. If you've got the time and talent, build one yourself. For the price and time issues I just had the supplier put it on, took about 1/2 hour and I was on my way.
  11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have no problem with minw bars are thin see right thru.It holds my light bar on great.
  12. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Try to do a search. It was recently discussed in another thread. Some guys have their own idea of their setup.