1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Rack

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chefdrp, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Chefdrp

Chefdrp Member

i know this is in the wrong forum but it will get seen faster here. What are some other brand names for a Back Rack. I want one for the new truck.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

If your looking for a Back Rack here is there home page: http://backrack.ca/ If you looking for what back racks Technical name is, they are called headache racks or cab racks or cab protectors.
    If you can't find one you like run by you local welding shop and have them fab you one up. I bought the Back Rack a few weeks ago and I like it, I am gonna weld some pieces on to mine when it gets warmer to suit my needs!
    good luck
  3. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

Here is a pic of my Back Rack, had something go through the windshield of my truck years ago since then always have one. Besides, gives me someplace to put my light.

DSCN0127 (WinCE).JPG
  4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

<A HREF=http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2009508/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2009508/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10201/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=headache%20rack>JC Whitney</A> has some nice, sharp looking Stainless Steel louvered ones

I've never seen a copy of the "Back Rack" by anyone else. Don't much care for the minimilistic approach of them either. If I am going to have on on their it's going to provide protection and I just don't think the little bit of steel that actually protects the rear window is going to provide protection for much.

I also, again personally, don't want any rack sticking above the cab roof-I can still fit in parking garages that have 6'6" clearance and wish to keep it that way.

6. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

You can do the same thing with a typical rack frame and a pc of expanded metal. My dad made one for his truck, and they don't bend; we've chucked firewood for years in his truck and every once in a while you crack one off of it. Better than a busted window, eh?
  7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I will say the louvers could be a pain in the ass. Just the back rack I have can be a night mare when she's blowin and driftin and you can not keep your windows clean. Try jambin a snow brush in there. Oh and yes the snow will stick to the back window louvers or not.
  8. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

I like my Back Rack, as far as cleaning the windows goes, you lose a little window protection but cleaning the rear window is 10 times easier then a mesh head ache rack. You also don't have to drill into your truck, very easy installation.