1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back rack plus bed cover?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by andyman0291, Jan 9, 2009.

1. andyman0291

andyman0291 Senior Member

has anyone installed a back rack with a bed cover? wondering if it is possible. any pictures would be great

thanks

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

It is possible. I have seen them. My first Warm weather project is just that. Depends on who you get to do it too, I talked to one guy ANCO Inc, he had pics of the ones he did, but he wants $650.... I have the back rack with a tool box. There is also companies out there that have people who custom sew (seamstress) the dimensions.

If I have to have it fabed up I will. I was thinking of a "L" bracket behind the box, and one in front to keep the wind from tunneling in. I would bring the rear to the 6' line or whatever the specs are for the 6' cover, and mount it up. I think it was off by 1/2 when we measured it before, so it would work. I'd have the fabed pieces powder coated black to match the brackets.

3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I will post pics of myy Bosses truck on Sunday. You just need to put a spacer under it. The place that did his used some 1 inch wood. Painted it black. So check back Sunday

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have a truxedo lo-pro on my 02
    http://www.truxedo.com/lopro/truxedo-lopro.html

i made my back rack myself. it is made from one inch square stock, and fits perfectly with the truxedo. i have the strobes on the outside, and a sho-me mini LED bar in the center.
    this picture was taken before the i put the cover on, but the rack stayed in the same place.

[​IMG]

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

The other way it could be done is buying a roll up style Tonneau cover. Mount it flush up against the tool box with some 1" or 2" foam padding strip between the two. I would still add that fabed up angle iron to the front of the box to keep wind tunneling out. On mine it's not even an inch gap in the front. Paint it with Rustoleum, or if your anything like me, I am a little OCD and anal about things, so I would pay to have it powder coated.

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

There is a bunch out there to choose from, I did a quick search and came up with this. You would obviously have to cut the rails to the right demensions....but that is simple enough.

Here is a link also.....

FMJR-2.jpg

8. andyman0291

andyman0291 Senior Member

thanks for all the help guys the thing is i bought the truck with a cover. i just want to add a backrack, to mount my lightbar too. i think the best way to do it would be the wooden blocks and see how it works out, if worse comes to worse, i could just take the cover off and sell it or keep it.

9. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is my bosses truck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I just had mine made to fit around my cover. They just mounted it out a little more on the sides and placed the lower bar up 2"

[​IMG]

I have since added more lights, and not washed my truck since.

11. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran