1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Rack or roof mount?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by APLC, Nov 15, 2011.

1. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Which do you all like better? I'm kind Leary about drilling holes in my roof, but the back rack seems like a good way to go. I want to put my whelen responder on it and a few led flood lights maybe. Just looking for info on both from users of both. It's going on my 03 crew cab thanks

2. Thor78

Thor78 Member

When we got our new truck I was also skeptical of drilling holes in the roof. We got a 49" bar so we also had the choice to strap it. That also requires holes tho, so we decided to go the back rack route. Functionally it's closer to the center and gets it up a little higher. I do think it looks better on the roof tho, but looks aren't everything. When we first got it installed I thought it looked kind of goofy, but it has grown on me since. Hope this helps.

3. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Yeah thanks anyone else?

4. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

they make brackets that go into your cargo bar for mounting on roof no holes..

i like the back racks for "work" trucks and the mag mounts for "daily drivers"

5. APLC

APLC Senior Member

What kind shoul I look for? I seen the rack that goes into the charge light but they didn't list my 2500hd 03. And it's a work truck but I I drive it a lot

6. Dissociative

7. mike13

mike13 Member
    from mass

I installed my 48" edge on my back rack an used the permanent mounts an attached it
    to a 3" steel angle which i painted black.
    Then i attached to the back rack with 2 bolts an a spacer on the bolts inside of the back rack
    uprights to make it stable. do to the back rack being a little thin ill post a few pics if youd like tomorrow

8. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Headache racks are awesome, you can mount not only the lightbar but other work lights and other types of leds also. we're working on finishing up our two.

9. Thor78

Thor78 Member

Yeah, forgot to mention those, Acari roof mounts. I have no experience with those, but they look like a good option for a mini bar.

10. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Yeah I might be going with a back rack just not sure

11. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Whats the procedure if I permanently mount the responder to the roof?

12. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Find out where you want it, mark the 4 holes with a sharpie and a punch, remove the headliner and start drillin.

13. Dissociative

i would STRONGLY advise against drilling a mini bar into your roof.....it ruins the truck and just isn't needed..

if you want it on the trucks roof....get the rubber suction cup mags..

14. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Yeah I don't plan on doing that. Think I'll be going with a back rack of some sort. Dissociative how should I route the wire into the truck from the rack? Since you've done like 100s LOL thanks buddy

15. kandrts

kandrts Junior Member

Try Ebling and Sons in Grand Rapids MI. I had one made for a customer's truck for their snow plow light bar, they can put tabs on for work lights, and the top pad can be bigger for full size light bars. They can also have holes so you can run you wiring through the light bar and down into the bed. Light bar 019.jpg

Light bar 019.jpg

16. Dissociative

yea but how much is that Ebling compared to the pro rack??...looks like a lot more detailed work..nice piece

drill a clean hole and run inside the pro rack for your wires...

17. kandrts

kandrts Junior Member

It was $250

18. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Looks 10 times better mounted on the roof than sticking up in the air on a rack.

19. stevehawk23

stevehawk23 Junior Member
    from CT

I mounted my liberty on my roof with straps. I just cant get past the big goofy wing look of a lightbar on a backrack. I do have some worklights mounted on my backrack, but the lightbar on the roof looks much better and it just seems safer to me

20. 08SnowPusher

08SnowPusher Member

My personal preference is the "Back Rack." I have my ambers on top with 4 back up lights mounted on the rack. I have plugs on the harness and take the ambers off in the summer. I use the truck to move firewood and haul quite a bit so my rear slider appreciates the additional protection. A major selling point was the fact that you don't have to drill any holes. Your back up lights are also mounted in a very safe location, out of harms way. In 1999 I mounted a back rack to my super duty. Since the truck was brand new I took an extra step and put a thin strip of foam on the bed rail prior to mounting. When I removed the rack two years ago to sell the truck it was hard to tell it had ever been mounted. I went the same route after purchasing my new truck and have been pleased. Just my $.02.