1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back rack lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sno commander, Feb 2, 2008.

1. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

hey all i just put a backrack and tool box on my new truck, i want to mount some lights on the backrack. what is the easiest way to wire them up, do you go under the truck and up the fire wall or through the cab some where? to the fuse box? there not strobe lights just some sealed beam utility lights. Thanks:salute:
  2. Ogrebonz

Ogrebonz Junior Member

Light wiring

The last truck I put a back rack on was a new 2005 Dodge and I had alot of accessory stuff to wire so I put in a small fuse block on the backside of the removable panel below the steering column. I connected everything with two-four wire trailer plugs so I could still remove the panel. I ran a 12 gage wire from the battery (with a 15 Amp circuit breaker right close to the battery) to the panel. To get the wires to the rack I usually go out the firewall, use a grommet, and under the cab being careful of hot and moving parts. You have a choice here of the quick way and running the wire up between the cab and box, or the good way and running it between the inner and out box sides and through a grommet up near the front of the box. Sometimes you can sneak the wire out under the bed rail, but again beware of sharp edges. Then run it up the rack to your lights. Consider using a plug on the light wires to make removal easier when you break one on a tree limb.
    I like overkill with my wiring, so I go to West Marine and get the jacketed wire. Coast Guard approved and very tough, but a bit expensive too. The big plus with the CG approved wire is that it's alot more flexible.
    Use crimp connectors if you don't solder, but get a good crimper, cheap ones suck. I seal every connection with Liquid Electric Tape or silicone and use lots of zip ties.
    Long winded reply but I hope it helps, Ogre.