1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BACK RACK got hit by a Cheve!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Jerre Heyer, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Just got done in the fab shop doing a retrofit for a Cheve customer. They have a mid 70's 3/4 ton with lots of custom work done already. Saw a Back Rack we did for another customer and asked if we could do a little mod to it. I'll post the picts of it mounted on the truck with the lighting installed too. Just thought I'd show you how it looks before it got put on. No it's not available from back rack.........yet. Now onto the Blue Oval Jerre

backrack2.jpg

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Jerre look great

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

That's cool. Looks great.

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Jerre,
    Thats awesome, can you post me some dimensions for it, I think it would look cool, and offer more protection in the center of the window.

Thanks, John

5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Id love a ford blue oval for my ranger. I love those back racks.

Jay

6. Jerre Heyer

John,

Bought standard back rack for a Cheve from the distrubutor. Cost about $360 with the light bracket and shipping. Cut the passenger side loop off and flipped it over. Measured the center rails and cut 16" out of it. Cut 4 pcs of 4" stock and offset the center section. Weld, Grind, Paint and install.

Jay, do you have a back rack already? If you do and you want to ship it up i'll modifty it for the Big Blue oval. Even thought of putting the script in the center of mine. I've got a stainless unit on the truck now and may keep it. Havent decided yet.

If you don't have one and want to order one. Have it shipped here or I can order one in for you. Jerre

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Thanks Jerre, Ill have to look into creating something like that!

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

That does it, I'm movin' to Erie!

There's too much talent down there to stay here!

9. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Jerre, have you installed the back rack on your customer's truck yet? I'd like to see some more pics. :D :drinkup:

10. Jerre Heyer

I'll pull up the picts of the rack on the truck and get them posted. Stephen

Side lines are all around us we just have to look.

Started the heated wipers 3 seasons ago and they are holding there own. Modification and design is what I really enjoy.

Jerre:cool:

11. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Thanks Jerre Ill look into it and let you know

Jay

12. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

I'm not a big fan of back rack bars especially when you have the split glass sliding rear window. It is like looking out of a jail cell with the bars. Money spent on a plow truck should be spent on moving snow better, more efficiently, etc. Nothing against the designer/builder as it is a piece of art. It definitely does LOOK nice.

Pelican it looks like you have enough talent going. I saw your leaf sucker upper deal which sets a whole new standard for doing fall cleanup efficiently to say the least.

13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Thanks, dillyolboy.

I have to differ with you though on your opinion of "Backracks". They serve a purpose other than looking good. In the trucking industry they're called "headache racks", because they prevent a severe headache in the event your load breaks loose when braking abruptly. I had my ATC come through the back window when it got loose, it buckled the back of the cab too. I was lucky it didn't hit me, but I've had headache racks on my trucks since.

14. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

thats wicked cool!

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

That is neat !

Now lets see you make one with a Dodge Ram head ;)

16. Jerre Heyer

Stephen, Here are the picts you asked for. Jerre

P.s. Working on the Blue oval. Ram head will take some time. Plasma cutters to the ready........

gorniak rack adam.jpg

17. Jerre Heyer

pict #2 Jerre

gorniak back rack.jpg

18. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

Good point Pelican. I plow driveways only so I would hate looking through those bars all night and I have no load in the back of my truck. However if you had a V box spreader or a load and you couldn't see out the back window anyways a backup rack would probably be a good investment.

19. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Jerre,
    I like it !! Send us a pic of the Oval when it's finished... might have to have one of them !!

20. johncg72

johncg72 Junior Member
    from nj

to all of you on this web site i think what you have here is an extremley valuable learning tool. I work for the largest backrack distributor in the country and after speaking with JerreI can say he is one level headed guy who can probably build just about anything. Jerre i think you should start selling these things all over the country. they do void the manufacturers warranty on the backrack but it does look great..