1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

back rack and lighting help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by YoAdrian, Dec 14, 2015.

1. YoAdrian

YoAdrian Junior Member

Hi there! I wanted to get a back rack with utility lights for my guy for Christmas. There are SO many options that I have no idea where to start. He does residential plowing and has a GMC Sierra. He told me that the back rack he wanted was maybe $350-400 but that's not really helping me narrow it down.

Any lighting / rack set up help you could offer would be great!

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

First off welcome!

It all depends on what the purpose for the back rack and the look that you want on the truck. If you want it for rear window protection from load shift vs debris can change the whole choice of the rack and brand.

For the lights, LED's have low draw with high output. Are you speaking of work lights or warning lights?

3. YoAdrian

YoAdrian Junior Member

Hmm...I'm pretty useless WRT all these questions.

But he wants the lights to help him when plowing. I'm guessing visibility, but I'm not sure at all. And in terms of the back rack, he mentioned being able to mount lights on it and leaning long items of cargo against it (boards, ladders, etc).

He pointed out a truck that had the original style on it, but I don't know if that's the one he wants. I've been probing friends / family for more info but getting nowhere.

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

There is different brands, ya gotta be a little sly and get more info from him.
    Steel, aluminum, and you can spend a good buck on lights.
    Look up backrack, they are pretty good, not bad priced.

5. Philbilly2

If you would have posted yesterday, I had a full setup for a 99-07 Serria, back rack, mars light, and 4 rear facing work lights that I just sold to a guy today for cheap

6. YoAdrian

YoAdrian Junior Member

Yeah, that's the brand I referenced in the OP and that's what I want to get. There are just a lot of options to choose from so I'm not sure at all what makes the most sense. I'm going to have to get more info but I was hoping mainly for help with the lights.

I can buy the brackets, for sure, but I don't even know what type. There's right and left side mounted, one long bracket for four lights... I am just so lost as to what he could need for plowing.

7. YoAdrian

YoAdrian Junior Member

Yea, he said he was shopping some on his forums...I'm probably spoiling the whole surprise just posting here.

8. Philbilly2

What is the year of his truck?

Honestly, the back rack lights IMO don't help when plowing. They make all the snow that is flying very visible in your mirrors becoming distrcting. Lights under the rear bumper keep the light directed where you need it.

They are great if you have to shovel in the dark or work on somthing.

Don't worry though, there are going to be 500 guys that are going to follow me threw this thread and tell me about how I am wrong...

9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

You are only limited by how much you want to spend. 4" spots have brackets, you drill and mount. You can get those at Tracktor Supply. Or you can go big $ with LEDs. Thumbs Up

10. YoAdrian

YoAdrian Junior Member

Any opinions on the classic back rack vs the louvered style vs the modular style?

11. Philbilly2

Classic is my choice - Clean look but still protects, allows for lights to be mounted, and you can lean stuff against rack instead of cab.

12. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Ill second the classic.