1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Snow, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

i have seen and read some about back plows. (they mount to the back of the truck)

how well do they work? do they save much time?
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

My experience was they worked well, as long as the roads stayed wide. However as driveways and roads got smaller, the roads being out of my controll, they became slower. They really do add lenght to the truck, if you do a lot of areas where it is hard to turn around. You may want to think twice.

3. GoSlo

GoSlo Junior Member

I have a backblade on my truck and it works very well. Saves you time of back draging with the front blade then turning around and pushing the snow. Just drop the front and rear and drive. The only snoe that the back blade picks up is whats under the truck. Also you can have down pressure on the rear blade to get up hard pack. (most of the time)
  4. snowflake

snowflake Member

i got back blades on two of my trucks wouldn.t be with them save time and good for clean out truck docks and anytime you gotta back drag good down pressure to help scrape clean highly incourage havein one

5. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

have a snowman back plow love it to death, lots of down presure, saves time! have you looked at hinikers c plow just something to look at. back plows are nice for really scaping too you can have the front and the back down for the really hard snow. length is a bad thing though if your running a long box Xcab or even a long box reg cab. takes a little time to get used to it, but i'd say its worth haveing one.
  6. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I have a snoman backplow this season and it is working out great ......It does save time, I think its easier on my truck transmission....forward plowing only , the customers are impressed and its real ballast on the truck . Negatives need to lose the tailgate to see while backing but dont need ballast on the truck , it does add 36" to the length of the truck (which hasnt been a problem yet ) bought and installed myself ....it's simple to use