1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back plowing in front of garages

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowman777, Dec 15, 2002.

1. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

im sure you all know the problems with garages that face the street. does anyone have an inexpensive method or tool for dragging snow away from the front of a garage?.i have seen the expensive tailgate plows but thats not warranted for me.
    i had a blade fabricated for the back of my plow but that just made snow pile up under my truck.
    i think the answer lies in attaching or dragging something from the rear of the truck that way snow pile up wont be so bad.

i am working on a "A" frame trailer type rig that will hook up to a trailer hitch, i will just drag this foward.

i will post it and the results if there is any interest.

any comments?
  2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i have a lot of residentials tha require backplowing, i use my jeep and just backplow normally. i pull the snow far enough so i can get the jeep in backwards and plow the rest out. works good for me. how far are you backdragging the snow to have it built up under the truck?
  3. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

How can you not justify a backplow if you really need one ?
    I run one because of the final results. I used to push the snow to the garage then lift the blade and drop it over the pile, then pull it back and that worked pretty good, but it takes to da#m long.

Heres my backplow i picked it up used for $700.00 new it's around $2,300 :

4. Sno

Sno Senior Member

How many garage doors have you hit with that thing?

Any other manuvering problems?
  5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Check out a Hiniker C-Plow, they are a regulare blade, then they fold down over themselves for backdragging.

Hiniker C-Plow
  6. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

What brand of backdrag plow is that??
    Looks pretty slick to me.
    Sounds like you picked up a bargain at that price.
    How bout a couple more pics??
    Mark K
  7. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

my two new western plows back drag just as good as the hiniker.i know cause i have a hiniker.but the new angle on the westerns were made for back blading.i can back up over 30 feet in 6 inches of snow and no problems.i do all my drives this way.my old westerns did okay after a few feet they would lift up and ride over the snow.the new ones don`t do that.
  8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Mike are you talking about the second cutting edge on the newer westerns? I might have to look into that, seems like a good design.
  9. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

no i was thinking of getting it before i used the new plows this year but i see no need to get it cause they work great with the standard edge.the angle of the plow they changed a few degrees to back blade better.at least thats what western told me before i bought them.the new ones work great.
  10. Earthscapes

from WNY

Sno ---> only 1 "mine" and i ripped the handle off one of my customers doors so i guess that counts as 2. It's 7 feet wide so you don't really even know it's there and these things rule in circle drives.

speedracer241 ---> its a driftbuster (www.driftbuster.com) They now sell them with the pump mounted on top unit (where my tailgate is) and i do believe that they float now(mine don't).I like the pump under the hood (keeps it warm and i would rather run 39' of hose than 18' of wire witch corrodes to easy)
    It's a good idea to check the bolts on the trailer hitch after every couple of days of use,,seeing that i ripped the frame to shreds on the Ford that it came off of.
    Yeah i got it real cheap (it used to belong to my old boss)
    I don't have the truck here,, my employee drives it so when i see him, i'll get you some more pics
  11. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

I know there are several companies (Snowman, Daniels come to mind and have been discussed recently -- do a search) that make inexpensive, or at least reasonably priced back blades that can mount to a 2" reciever type hitch.

Also, I just noticed that Western now has a back-drag cutting edge for their plows. See their website under "what's new".

I plowed for years with just a front blade and have done more than my share of back dragging away from loading docks and parking spaces and garage doors... I thought about making a back drag edge for my plow about five years ago, but never did. Now they are available from Western and I know I've seen them other places too. I could've been a millionare...:realmad:

Anyway, we now have 3 of our 4 trucks outfitted with back blades and I agree with Earthscapes, if you do a fair amount of plowing that requires back dragging, how can you justify not having one?
  12. casey

casey Banned

13. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

for those of you that are interested, I've got my Snowman Back Plow on ebay right now. I've barely used it and it's sitting at $610 as I'm writing this. I can't remember what I paid, but I know it was a heck of a lot more than that.

Dan Norton
  14. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

great price

That is a great price for a snoman backplow . He's giving it away for only used 3 times . Mine saves SO much time and is real easy to install
  15. Earthscapes

from WNY

hey Hoyboy...give me some info on that thing how wide is it ?? where is the pump mounted ?? does it float ?? whats the deal with the springs ? Any pics with it fully raised ???

Oh yeah how far are u from buffalo ny ????
  16. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

It's a 7' Plow...and yes, it's only been used a few times...I didn't count, but probably 3 or 4 times.

They are excellent for garage doors. That's really what they were made for.

Call me at 708-774-1333 if you have any questions. Not past 8:00 central please...kiddies are asleep.

I'll do whatever I can to assist any of you here on plowsite.

17. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

sno man

the pump is mounted to its frame above hitch The springs are its trip edge ....it's cool it DOES float it raise about even with the bed of my 2500 ram and its built in ballast its does a nice neat job and saves a lot of time with lots less forward / reverse work....I wish I could have found one for that price take the tailgate off of best vision
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2002
  18. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

Speaking of backplowing...how do MVP's work? Do they do a good job? Do you use a straight blade function or do you use them V'd out to use as a backwards scoop?
  19. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

20. Doctordo

Doctordo Member

The best and the cheapest way I have seen is to take off your shoes on your plow and it does a pretty good job.