1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back plow stuck up

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by TheSixthElement, Oct 26, 2009.

1. TheSixthElement

TheSixthElement Junior Member

The pump is a Monarch M-3551. The rear plow is custom built. The plow arm will go up but not down. The shovel is off the truck at the moment. When I hit the switch to go down I can hear the pump laboring and I can see the arm trying to go down. I have changed the solenoid, both valves and magnets so that should not be the issue. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

bad quick coupler. or not plugged together well.

3. TheSixthElement

They are tight. wouldn't fluid be leaking if they weren't? The plow was working fine when I picked it up from storage. I changed the magnets and it would only go up. So, I changed them back and it still would only go up. Thats why I'm stumped.

The reason I changed the magnets in the first place is because last year the plow would get stuck in the up position after about 5 hours of use... I had to disconnect the ground on the solenoid to release pressure, tap the switch and it would go down from the weight. I was told to change the magnets to solve that issue.

4. no lead

next check power to the coils. up is fine, is down getting power? maybe in your switch.

5. TheSixthElement

down is getting power because i hear the motor when I press down on the switch. I have a feeling its something simple. I notice the pressure hose isn't as stiff as it use to be, which tells me fluid isn't flowing through. Could it be it's getting power but not enough? Maybe debris in the system somewhere? Any other ideas?

6. no lead

try different couplers?

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member