1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Pack Spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Toby, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

Has anyone used a Maruyama powered spreader for spreading salt or pelletetized calcium?

My dealer tells me they will work well.

I need it for a series of sidewalks that we salt day after a storm when snow is too packed to remove.

2. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Sorry, I don't have any experience with one of those (and my apologies for going off topic), but my curiosity's got the best of me--Why are those sidewalks waiting so long to be treated?
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I was going to ask the same thing.You could even pre-treat to prevent the hardpack.
  4. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

These are a series of tenant buildings that are located in a different part of the city than our regular routes.

The owner cares only that the sidewalks, walkways & steps are salted within 24-hrs of a storm.

We have been using push spreaders, manual spreaders & a powerbroom but this Maruyama looks like a real time saver for the steps, landings, & walkways.
  5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I have never used the Maruyama Backpack spreader but I have worked with Maruyama String Trimmers, and small Waste pumps and I will tell you that their engines are very strong running powerful setups. That should not be a problem.