1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back Pack Blowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brad3403, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Can I get some thoughts on which is the best back pack blower? How much to pay for a good commercial one?
  2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i will look up the models but at the begining of last season the Shindawa was the most powerful..i think the newer Redmax may be more powerful as of right now...all this according to local reps. i use the Shindawa's for leaf clean ups and snow and will look at the redmax (or anything comprable) for next season

the stihl numbers look good but i didn't think they were as good as the Shindawa
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  3. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

4. We use the Stihl BR600 to blow dirt and rocks off driveways and leaf cleanups in the fall and spring.

This blower is nothing short of amazing. It comes with a price tag of about $700 here but its the best investment I've ever made.

I have a buddy that uses this blower as a salter believe it or not. He has his employee sit in the box of his truck and uses the blower to blow bulk salt out the back while driving very slowly in a parking lot. (Totally not advisable - its dangerous)
  5. archer39

archer39 Member
    from PA

x2, stihl makes a very good backpack blower
  6. 04red2500

04red2500 Member
    from MI

Redmax EBZ8000 only way to go
  7. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

Honestly Weight and cost weighted in with my choice I would go wither redmax 8000 or Stihl Br600 Personily I have 3 Br600 and love them
  8. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Love my br600. was awesome this fall. I run all stihl and dont have 1 bad thing to say about them.
  9. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I would have to back you up on this also. I have found nothing that could match it!! We had a new br600 and the 8000 blew it away.
  10. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

I agree with this 100%. Nothing compares to the Redmax 8001. we used to use Sthils, but after a year or 2 of use, I just don;t think that they have the power they did when they were new. The Redmax on the other hand is like having a walk behind strapped to your back. JMHO
  11. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

Just wondering on the stihl 600's.
    Do they have the metal screan filter at the exhaust tip?

I have a stihl BR300 series I pulled the metal screan filter out of the exhaust tip and it gained 50% power.
    I bougt it used so maybe it was clogged, but it runs like new now.
    I use it to clear snow off the decks and it works great for me.
  12. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

The metal screen is the spark arrestor. With it removed there is not as much resistance for the exhaust and will improve power.

I bought a Redmax 7001 today. My equipment dealer (who I fully trust) recommended against the 8001. He said they have a tendency to blow apart....just like the Stihl 600.
  13. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

big mistake!! should have went with the 8001. Have had mine for 5 years and has never blown apart
  14. CLPS

CLPS Junior Member
    from Midwest

I have a couple Echo PB-755's I use for lawncare, they work great. Super powerful and the best in my opinion. I think I paid under $600 for one this last spring.
  15. Blow apart? You mean explode? I have never heard of this happening with anyone I know and everyone I know in the landscape industry uses the BR600. I think your dealer is blowing smoke...
  16. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

2 of my stihl600's locked up while in use after 2 years, that's why i switched but even then IMO the weren't as powerful as my shindawa's are
  17. esshakim

esshakim Senior Member

We have tried every type of blower out there and the EB8001 puts them all to shame, It is much heavier than most blowers but man if you want to move **** this is the blower for you. For commerical walkways my guys use the blowers and they can move up to five inches of snow faster with a blower that they could with a snow blower.
  18. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

this is not even a question....

RedMax EBZ8001

they don't make the 8000 anymore.

Mine will blow THREE inches of DRY snow....doesnt do S H I T to the wet stuff...
  19. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Does this method really work very good?
  20. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I swear by it...

Only for dry light snow though...no more than 2-3 inches max.wesport

Just like with grass...you wanna blow with the wind, otherwise you'll look like a snowman, and feel like one too.

I'd rather use a spade shovel than a bp for the wet stuff though.