1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Back into plowing this year - '12 Cummins Dually Flatbed

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by captntim, Feb 19, 2016.

1. captntim

captntim Member
    from Maine

With a few properties to take care of I decided to get back into plowing - not for hire at this point just plowing my private road, camp road, apartment and boatyard

Truck is a 2012 Ram 3500 6 speed that pulls a hydraulic boat trailer in the summer. Installed a Boss DXT and a set of 6 Cooper M+S studded tires - truck is tank in the snow.

Not much winter this year but I'm very happy with the little bit I've used it. Tuck holds the plow great and I love plowing with the 6 speed manual - set up the controller on a RAM mount attached to the shifter & its the best plowing setup I've ever had.

Pics of the truck are at my boatyard - usually use a ballast box I built for counterweight but was headed up snowmobiling after cleaning up the yard so that worked well enough.

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Looks great.
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That's a good looking setup.
  4. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Pretty slick setup, whereabouts in Maine?
  5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Really nice.
  6. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

Aren't you always hitting the plow controller when reaching to shift? Other than that, great idea.
  7. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Awesome truck, you should get some wings for that.
    Check out the maine section under weather, good group of guys there
  8. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Nice truck. If I'm not mistaken I believe I have seen this truck in Penobscot, correct me if I'm wrong.
  9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

That's a pretty cool setup!

I'd have a hard time driving that truck with reverse being left and down. I'd never be able to get my brain to agree that left and down is reverse and not low/1st. I'm used to reverse being left and up (semi's, ZF6 pickups,etc) or far right and down (older pickups or smaller cars).
  10. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Nice truck and DXT!!
  11. captntim

captntim Member
    from Maine

Thanks for all the replies!

I thought originally the controller would get in the way for everyday driving, but its a non-issue after a little practice. In the spring I'll just remove the clamp and toss the whole thing in the console. It did take me a little while to get used to the reverse location but you get lots of practice while plowing & it's second nature now. Reverse is slow of course, but I don't do any large lots and I'm not in a rush plowing so this works great - can roll into a pile, clutch in and have it in reverse at the same time your stacking so I'm ready to back out for the next pass, hands never leave the steering wheel or shifter.

I have a couple properties in Penobscot including my main shop on the western county road so yep - same truck.

Thanks again for looking!
  12. FF/P215

FF/P215 Senior Member
    from 01085

Nice set-up, what a miserable year.. Great idea with the controller!
  13. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

Awesome truck! Great idea with controller. Thumbs Up
  14. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Nice truck. This is a pre "DEF" truck, correct?
  15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I believe Dodge has it on their C&C trucks in 2012. Could be wrong.
  16. NHCraigT

NHCraigT Member
    from NH

Impressive set up. Thanks for posting the v plow control picks too.
  17. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Edit : never mind... Lol

How is the cummins holding up?
  18. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

That's a converted pickup, isn't it? I thought cab and chassis had a longer wheelbase?
  19. TJ2015

TJ2015 Junior Member

Awesome looking set up. When I had a manual plow truck, thats how I did my boss touchpad as well. Always in control of truck and plow at all times. I loved mine.
  20. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Ditto Mark. I for one, could never see myself being comfortable plowing with a stick shift period. I can drive my 5 speed dump & trailer all day but plowing is a whole nother ball game.